Weight shift / Front mounted radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight shift / Front mounted radiator

Seriously thinking of putting a AAN engine and 6spd box into a type 85 4 door Quattro.

My idea is to move the engine and gearbox back and fit a front mounted radiator. May need grill to move out a bit, longer drive shafts/Inner CV's, resphaped steering arms etc

Aims are reduced under steer and better cooling.

Any comment, ideas, discussions would be appreciated. If I missed a thread on the same subject.. apologies.
    Regards
    Ryss
    www.autostart.co.za

How far back are you planning on moving them as I would check to what extent the drive shafts will work if moved a significant distance
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Use a B8 quattro gearbox, should give you 6-8 inches

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

How much does a b8 box cost?

Has anyone ever seen a portal hub from an Unimog? i wonder if you could fit something like that to the gearbox to move the drive shafts forward after the engine has been slid back.

Comment

they'll be silly money new, but I'm sure you could find a used one for ÂŁ700 - ÂŁ1000 ish.
          A portal hub is a bit agricultural
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            A portal hub is a bit agricultural
            Able to take plenty of mindless abuse then?

Comment

Sky line box and transfer ?
              Chef

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                Sky line box and transfer ?
                I searched on that a few hours ago as well. What do you think about drive shafts running through sumps?

Comment

Unless you start moving the firewall back I doubt you would gain anything more than you would with the B8 box, as the design of the front of the chassis of is based around a keeping the engine in front of the wheels to make the conventional quattro box fit - consequently the strut towers and subframe are mounted too close the firewall to offer much room for improvement. If you were to move the firewall back or even better, move the strut towers forward and switch to a multi-link / double wishbone setup then a skyline transfer box and front diff would be a good way of doing it.
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I have a spare V8 box but its an auto and is not 4.11:1 diff ratio. Very difficult to find a manual box in South Africa. But yes half the problem solved due to the forward position of the output shafts.

Hoping to get 50 to 80mm. Angle of CV's will work but may wear faster, as the angle increases. Need to be sure that at full steering, angle is not too extreme.

There is an A4 B7 running on the track in Cape Town with a wider track and engine shift. Major improvement in handling. If my geometry is correct wider track will reduce the angle of the drive shafts and a 80mm shift over the length of the drive shaft, represents an increase in the angle by +-4.5/ 5 degrees, I think. (I suck at maths)

Obviously engine mountings will need to be changed.
                    Regards
                    Ryss
                    www.autostart.co.za

Comment

Originally posted by Ryss View Post
                      Thanks for the comments. I have a spare V8 box but its an auto and is not 4.11:1 diff ratio. Very difficult to find a manual box in South Africa. But yes half the problem solved due to the forward position of the output shafts.

Hoping to get 50 to 80mm. Angle of CV's will work but may wear faster, as the angle increases. Need to be sure that at full steering, angle is not too extreme.

There is an A4 B7 running on the track in Cape Town with a wider track and engine shift. Major improvement in handling. If my geometry is correct wider track will reduce the angle of the drive shafts and a 80mm shift over the length of the drive shaft, represents an increase in the angle by +-4.5/ 5 degrees, I think. (I suck at maths)

Obviously engine mountings will need to be changed.
                      check out the link to my CQ thread in my sig, we moved the engine way back
                      BEAST '90 CQ 24v VRT / O1E / v8 rear, HOLSET SUPER 40 http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=193#p37887
                      DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=201#p38264

Comment

Go for the 0B4 gearbox:

Does ask for a special flywheel/clutch setup looking at the transfer shaft through the bellhousing:

Like this Polish member dithttp://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52932

Perhaps Sleeper_Avant can give some insight in what the 4wd Cossies used, they have the engine far back as well.

Comment

Originally posted by my2000apb View Post
                          check out the link to my CQ thread in my sig, we moved the engine way back
                          Did you actually move the engine and gearbox back or just moved the centre of mass back by virtue of using the VR lump?
                          Great project BTW dude
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            Did you actually move the engine and gearbox back or just moved the centre of mass back by virtue of using the VR lump?
                            Great project BTW dude
                            yeah its def moved back a few inches as well as the shorter motor, ill get some front axle angle pics later today

thanks many more updates incoming shortly, been working on it too much to update regularly
                            BEAST '90 CQ 24v VRT / O1E / v8 rear, HOLSET SUPER 40 http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=193#p37887
                            DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=201#p38264

Comment

Thanks my2000apb and quattro84, two excellent threads. Looks like a lot of bed time reading of some very good fabrication work.
                              Regards
                              Ryss
                              www.autostart.co.za

Comment

Working...
                              X