Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plannig Ahead - 500hp RS2 Upgrade

Hi all,

Looking long term I have decided to avoid changing the RS2 for a newer car because it does everything I want a car to do BUT, I would like just a bit more !

The car has done 212,000 miles and is in good health, showed 335bhp on a recent dyno but as far as I know is basically standard, it has koni adjustables all round and has GT3 monoblocks on the front and boxter monolocks on the rear.

My plan is to go for an engine upgrade, target is 400 - 500 bhp. i want the car to retain its current characteristics, i want it to be driveable on the road.

At this high mileage I would expect to need to do internal engine work, top and possibly bottom end..... It needs a new exhaust in the near future so probably go for 3" downpipe

from what I have read the concensus appears to be the following
    uprated conrods
    3" exhaust throughout, inc downpipe
    uprated fuel pump
    uprated injectors
    Turbo uprate ?
    Manifold ?
    Clutch

So, is this heading in the right direction, have i missed anything ?

Is there any need to address engine cooling, is the standard set up efficient enough ?
    Gearbox ?, does it need any work (mine is probably needing new syncros for 1st to 2nd) so might get that done.

I have a figure of about £10k in my head, is that reasonable ?

Who would be reccomended for the work ???

Appraciate any input

Paul

First thing to decide is who is going to map then thing, then take it from there. There are plenty of turbo choices and this, combined with the mapper, will dictate what else you need to fit.

As an idea, you're looking at KKK K26/27 variant, GT3071 .82, GT3076 .82, GTX 3071, CT turbo and a few others.

Rebuilding the engine is a good idea at that mileage and a port and polish on the head may be worthwhile, if you want to go for a .63 turbo.

Clutch wise, spend the money on a Sachs Racing one and have done with it.

You could just buy Jamo's avant and swap his stroker in, it'll more than likely cost about the same and you'll have an RS2'd S2 avant to sell on
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

One key choice you will have to make is turbo i.e. K24/26 family or other as this will determine other components e.g. EM, airbox, pipework etc.

Another key choice is whether you stick with Motronic or use any one of the plethora of engine managment systems......this will affect who you use to tune it.....and this depends on where you live otherwise you'll end up travelling long distances potentially.

There are loads of good project threads on here to get your teeth into.
      2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
      1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

You can get the turbo that Sonic has on here, will do 500hp, if you want to stick with the KKK route.
        Alternatively Garrett GT3076R or GTX3071R with the 0.82 A/R housing.
        Or - a Holset HX35 with K26 #8 housing will hit the target as well.

Methanol injection would benefit in keeping the temps low.
        For headwork, and an engine rebuild, contact JP on here.

As for mapping - I can do it.

twenty_valve on here has something similar to what you want to have, with the GT3076R.
        http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Look at my thread!

Comment

give me 10k and you can have my car!!...

only joking....

JP's your man for engine/ headwork....

first thing I would do after going down a similar path, what do you intend to use the car for?....daily or weekend warrior?.....as things can become a little different with race clutches/ set ups.....

good luck with your quest...

cheers
            Mike

Comment

Thanks guys,

Will probably pass on the option to convert to modified S2 or swop !

Have been reading the "bugswatter" thread, what a project !

I will send a PM to JP and see if he is interested in the project ?

Thanks

P

Comment

Considering building engines and heads is what he does, I would not see any reason not to
                http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Working...
                X