Garage Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Recommendation

After a long period where I'd lost much of my enthusiasm I've decide that it's time I got my S2 project finished and back on the road.

I'm not up-to-date on where is considered good garages to go to (and where to avoid) so I am looking for recommendations on a garage to use. Somewhere south of Birmingham would be preferable (M42/M5 area would be great), but I doubt I can be too fussy on location. Normal servicing is usually taken care of by Jason at The Lion Garage, but I'd like to investigate alternatives that could cover everything.

The problems I know about are:
    * Battery not charging (probably alternator)
    * Leak at O/S A pillar (this will probably be a nightmare - two garages have already had attempts to fix it)
    * large paint chip on O/S door
    * Peeling gauges (are those s2bo kits still available??)
    * Temperamental temperature gauge
    * ABS disengaging
    * Blower works on fastest speed only
    * Cracked A-pillar trim (replacement will be in the boot - thanks Alex)
    * Temperamental HID lamp (N/S can take a few attempts to fire)
    * S3 seats need rewiring (using electrics frequently blows fuse)

In addition to fixing the above problems, I need:
    * Flatbed collection from near the NEC on or before next Thursday
    * MoT
    * Engine service
    * Air-con service
    * Alarm service

Once all of the above are addressed, I also need:
    * Mapping - prior to SORN I'd get the ocassional boost spike to 2.3bar. It currently uses eBoost2 boost controller and finding somewhere that has experience of setting up in-gear boost control would be a plus.
    * Heated windscreen and associated switching - the windscreen has been ordered and I already have the seals, but the switching will need making by the garage
    * Weld in roll cage

Things I'm considering, so experience of these (or having a trusted contact) would be a bonus:
    * MSD ignition
    * Interior retrim (including getting rid of all sound deadening)

How long it will take is not as important as having the work done properly. I'm happy with it taking a while, but what I don't want is it sitting in a corner for 11 weeks being ignored and then a rush over a week to get it done. I'd expect a rough estimated completion date with steady little bits of progress and I want updates every week or two on what's been done and any issues encountered. Warnings of nearby garages that are overstretched/understaffed are just as appreciated as recommendations (by PM if you're more comfortable with that).

Hopefully I can join in with a few meets later in the year and finally get on a track
    Attached Files
    David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Still looking good!
    I can't recommend a garage, but good luck with all the work...

Cheers

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

So did the car run well in the years after it was at Corey's?

Corey build thread

Comment

Great car!
        Chef

Comment

this car always made me want to paint my coupe in RS Blau

On the ignition front think you probably need to do the pin swap and run individual coils
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I'd have thought Doug / MRC would be able to deal will all this for you and Doug can arrange paint / bodywork with Greg Howell in Southam, CV47 0NA

Comment

i can do all this work if you are interested. VRS Northampton
              thanks
              Will
              Attached Files

Comment

Great looking S2, colour suits it perfectly.

Comment

Take it to Aidan at Bahnstorm or Will at VRS both in Northampton

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                    Still looking good!
                    I can't recommend a garage, but good luck with all the work...
                    Thanks Steve. You know who I'll be calling when it's all done and needs a good detail. I'll take care of the vents again.
                    David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by epic View Post
                      So did the car run well in the years after it was at Corey's?
                      For a little while it went very well. The boost spikes were infrequent, but not something I'd like to ignore. I was fortunate in that I got the car back whole, but some of the things on my list stem back from those days (like the leak, temp gauge, seats). It was all the trouble surrounding Corey that was the catalyst for me losing interest. Sad times. I have still lurked around the forum ocassionally and I just can't get the S2 out of my blood. It's the only car I've ever loved. I either need to part with it so that it goes to a good home or finish it off and enjoy it like originally planned. It's criminal for so much time, effort and money to be spent for it to live under a car cover and only be moved around the car park every fortnight.
                      David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                        this car always made me want to paint my coupe in RS Blau

On the ignition front think you probably need to do the pin swap and run individual coils
                        Thanks Alex.

I was hoping to avoid individual coils, as won't that mean starting the mapping again from scratch with an ABY ecu? I assumed that as the Sport Quattro S1 used a distributor there has got to be a solution out there for reliable decent power from a single coil. I thought a MSD Blaster setup would be up to the job.
                        David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by epic View Post
                          I'd have thought Doug / MRC would be able to deal will all this for you and Doug can arrange paint / bodywork with Greg Howell in Southam, CV47 0NA
                          It used to go to MRC from when they first opened up many moons ago. Doug did all of my initial upgrades and servicing. I've seen a car Doug had Greg paint and it was a really good job. Maybe too good for my needs. The bodywork part of the project is my lesser concern, as I want it for the track rather than for show. I think MRC would be too busy to keep me happy. I don't begrudge them their success though. Doug and Minhea are nice guys.

May still be worth a call, but my guess is they'd not want to work with the current eBoost2 boost controller. It was quite an expensive part plus setup and I would like to reduce boost for 1st gear if possible, which I don't think is an option with plain Motronic. However, since I had my car mapped last, I'm sure I've read somewhere that there has been advances with Motronic options to control wastegate creep without just bunging in a stiffer spring, which was the original reason for looking aftermarket.
                          David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Dave FYI: My GT3076 Turbo engine was set up by MRC and mapped by them has an Apexi boost controller

Comment

I would take Will up on his over and get the car over to VRS
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X