avant for track/fast road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avant for track/fast road

so after using forum for info all the time i think i should post project on here all you guys probably be more willing to help if i contribute to forum not just take haha so anything i do that is not the norm i will document and attempt a how to..

may as well introduce myself too.. just finishing my apprenticeship now next few months i work on an oil refinery at the *** end of wales as an mechanical technician on rotating equipment e.g. pumps, compressor and turbines (big turbos!) and as an machinist in workshop (nice to have access to machine any components i need to make)

now car!
    bought off here in october/november time last year its an
    L reg nothelle avant (could get grief as im ripping apart one but hey its mine lol)
    so an quoted spec of 300+ish bhp was a very nice car
    i was driving this around until mid February
    here it is when i first got it

so far planned spec:

Gt3076r
    Kris exhaust manifold
    Wagner reverse
    H section rods
    Standard pistons
    Aby cams
    750cc ev14 injectors
    Undecided on rs2/rs4 MAF or pressure side MAF (if anyone would share they're pressure MAF set ups ill be greatful)
    550bhp+ hope for

Kw v3s
    Solid mounted subframes
    Delrin motorsport density engine, box and diff mounts
    Poly bushes all round
    Ground control adjustable top-mounts
    plan to make my own rear top wishbone (for more camber adjustment for rear)
    rollcage (semi custom made myself using main hoops from coupe cage then making rest myself)

Got 330mm 4 pot ap brakes up front when bought car
    So might go for a 300mm k-sport 4pot rear upgrade (impreza ones and make my own caliper carrier bracket)
    Remove abs but unsure what way to go for this (no assist/ impreza vac servo assist and get rid off hydro set up) (reason for subaru is as mate has collected so many impreza bits over years of owning them and the aftermarket parts market for them is really good)

want to keep photos up but lacked at first so as many will no the following steps are quick to write down but really isnt quick to do haha

first job was up off wheels/front end all off

front subframe off and engine/box out

rear subframe and diff and all off not got pics of this was too much swearing at the 20 year old bushes to get camera out got one of diff thou

subframe bushes all removed then.. but without a good press and a few failed diy pullers used good ol' fashion fire.. let them burn for a bit then peeled out nicely.. they then went to be powder coated (along with the rear strut top brackets) and now look posh shame to be under car..

nice to have new shiny bits

interior coming out next ready for roll-cage and shead some weight from the heavy German barge

right that's all the stuff from the past now from today
    im fitting camber caster plates so this means cutting out strut top and fabricating new struts to mount the plates..
    first thing was to remove strut brace lugs. i will be building cage turret to turret soon so will not need these mounting points.. also clean off and remove any unneeded studs so ive got nothing in the way to establish my datums off flat clean areas

then started making templates out of card first whole "measure twice cut once" saying...although i did go through a few designs but easy as its not like i welded it all up and it was rubbish.. this one is going to be modified abit aswell but thats job for tomorrow

more to come.. stay tuned

Good luck with the project, make sure you keep us updated.
    96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
    96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Goof project, looks like you have worked out exactly what you want to do with it
      Where did you get the Ground Control top mounts from?
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        Where did you get the Ground Control top mounts from?
        got them from 034 who im extremely unhappy with.. their products are good no question but customer service *****.. i ordered in January.. they forgot some subframe bushes and im still waiting on replacements every time i rang was "theyre getting sorted now" now 2weeks ago they said they were posted no tracking details or anything has been sent to me.. and still not received them

Comment

Just abit of advice mate, but get the bushes/engine mounts/gearbox mounts hard black anodised, will cost you £35/£50 but worth it

Comment

Originally posted by bambridge View Post
            Just abit of advice mate, but get the bushes/engine mounts/gearbox mounts hard black anodised, will cost you £35/£50 but worth it
            was looking at getting stuff to anodise myself before tbh just didnt know how good it would come out..

Comment

Like This
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a nice collection of bits already, should be fun putting that together.

What are the plans for the outside of the car? Are you keeping it stock looking?

What do you get from 034 over just buying them from ground control?

You can get a kit from HT motorsport, with plates that allow for more adjustement.

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                  Looks like a nice collection of bits already, should be fun putting that together.

What are the plans for the outside of the car? Are you keeping it stock looking?

What do you get from 034 over just buying them from ground control?

You can get a kit from HT motorsport, with plates that allow for more adjustement.
                  Yea should be its all cutting and welding now.. Leaving engine rebuild till shells all done

Unsure on outside I like the wide arched coupes but doing it on avants obvulessly bit more work to build up on door and bod at back y.. And not sure weather to do full respray different colour yet.. I have spray booth in my garage so could be no brainer as inside and engine bay gonna be painted as all the welding being done so could go another colour

And got the 034 one as I was ordering bushes and arb and all so bought from there.. I still got the mounting plate to weld in for the adjuster plate to mount to just not the boxes for it so fab'in them up in way to box to stronger point than just cutting square out top and welding that box on..
                  Also didn't know about them one only seen them on 034 and didn't know they were bought from elsewhere untill I'd ordered haha

But as update from today:

not done anymore templating..
                  Been running around locally getting my steel ready and seeing about hiring out a plasma cutter to cut my templated shapes out the plate when done rather than using angle grinder..
                  Also I've been teaching myself to tig weld using my mates machine who gonna be the welder for me as his mig is consistent where mine is unpredictable haha

Comment

Nice project, Will be interesting to hear how much difference the new camber plates and suspension changes make
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                      Nice project, Will be interesting to hear how much difference the new camber plates and suspension changes make
                      Agreed, as Greg says.

Keep your camera handy, thanks.

Comment

Only little update today
                        Got wings off and last bits of the aircon removed chucked in the scrap
                        Then put pen to paper with all measurements to make sure new strut top plate is in same place as other

Comment

Where are you centring it? So max forward is stock?
                          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                            Where are you centring it? So max forward is stock?
                            yes correct.. maybe little off max so got some fall back if it moves abit while welding lol

Comment

just quick update first in few weeks
                              no pictures but engine bay is stripped clear and loom bagged together so no damage when cutting and welding plus will be painting to so got it out way
                              also interior is bare now just got to strip unwanted loom out now and get sound proofing up

received my main cage hoop and straight CDS tubing so can start cage when im ready! cheers custom cages (even though it was 2 weeks late delivery lol)..
                              and the coupe cage hoop is gonna need alot less messing than i thought seems only the angle between rear hoop and windscreen is bit off but no issue with that can be rectified easy...

Comment

Working...
                              X