CQ20v to S2 engine conversion info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CQ20v to S2 engine conversion info?

Does anybody know of a website that lists every part needed to do a conversion?

My 2-3 year plan is to change from my trusty 7A to a 3B or ABY setup. I am trying to work out what I need, engine, and all the accessory parts, intake, elecy parts, etc etc. £££ is the issue as always so I figure if I buy all I need over the next year or two i will get there a lot faster.

Second part of my question is beyond stock S2 parts, i.e. RS2 bits onto custom turbo and IC setups. Can anybody give me a kind of time line in relation to HP vs. upgrades required? At what stage do you need to start looking at exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds and engine internals?

Thanks,

Mark.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Originally posted by mcandmar
    Does anybody know of a website that lists every part needed to do a conversion?

My 2-3 year plan is to change from my trusty 7A to a 3B or ABY setup. I am trying to work out what I need, engine, and all the accessory parts, intake, elecy parts, etc etc. £££ is the issue as always so I figure if I buy all I need over the next year or two i will get there a lot faster.

Second part of my question is beyond stock S2 parts, i.e. RS2 bits onto custom turbo and IC setups. Can anybody give me a kind of time line in relation to HP vs. upgrades required? At what stage do you need to start looking at exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds and engine internals?

Thanks,

Mark.
    Mark,
    I don't have a web page but there are quite a few of us in the states going through this and have gone through it. A great forum with lots of good info and experiance is http://www.audifans.com/mailman/listinfo/es2. Also another forum full of people doing all kinds of audi conversions and mix and matching of engins is www.motorgeek.com. Good luck with it.

Elijah
    Last edited by elijahallens2; 17 January 2005, 01:27.
    91 Audi Coupe Quattro- AAN engine transplant

Comment

i dont know much but wont it be easier and cheaper to buy a engine for 1 - 2k ?
      ABY Coupe
      sigpic

Comment

3B is easyer you need loom to the fuse box, altitude sensor(little brown box) ecu, engine, down pipe, front crossmember, intercooler piping for turbo everything else is the same, i did the same to mine would go for the aby but i think the fuse box is different not sure tho, i paid £1200 for everything i needed for the conversion off all audi for engine that had done 120,000miles ish

Comment

only easyer from wiring point of view as i was told it was more complicated - if your slick with wiring id go for the aby

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, links are a goldmine of information.

My plan was to buy a complete engine, its the intake pluming, ecu wiring, and gearbox compatibility i'm looking for details on. I would prefer an ABY engine however i assume the direct ignition and different intake would only add to the problems. A 7A is closer to a 3B than an ABY basically.

Are the two engines different internaly? I have a spare head from an ABY so would it be possible to convert at a later stage to an ABY ignition system? ...or is there more to it than that?

Also will a 6 speed box would fit into the car or is the center tunnel a different shape?

Thanks again,

Mark.

Originally posted by WabTheKing
            3B is easyer you need loom to the fuse box, altitude sensor(little brown box) ecu, engine, down pipe, front crossmember, intercooler piping for turbo everything else is the same, i did the same to mine would go for the aby but i think the fuse box is different not sure tho, i paid £1200 for everything i needed for the conversion off all audi for engine that had done 120,000miles ish

Comment

gearbox fits, but you need a front sub frame off a six speed, (or mod yours) the prop shaft is shorter (or mod yours) and the rear diff is a different ratio, im in the process of doing all the same mods as you!!!

Comment

Wab,

Do you have a collection of photos of your build by any chance? Since you have BTDT with a UK spec CQ20v it would be invaluble info for me? Its even the same year

Have similar is the ECU wiring harness? Does it require starting again and wiring every pin on the 3B ecu?

Does anybody know if its possible to cram the intercooler in the bumper or do we have to change over to the later B4 front end?

Cheers,

Mark.

Originally posted by WabTheKing
                gearbox fits, but you need a front sub frame off a six speed, (or mod yours) the prop shaft is shorter (or mod yours) and the rear diff is a different ratio, im in the process of doing all the same mods as you!!!

Comment

i just used everything from a 3B the loom comes through the bulk head into the ecu, then to the fuse box, i just connected everything at the fuse box end i dont like wires so i just kept it as simple as possible, i dont have any photo's of changing the engine, or loom but i can discribe everything i did and what i would do differently like moving the battery to either the boot or under the rear seat for instance to make it easier to thread the ecu plug through the bulk head

bumper fits with a bit of carving, V6 or S2 bumper fits striaght on
                  Last edited by WabTheKing; 17 January 2005, 11:50.

Comment

Now that sounds fairly straight forward, I got very confused reading through the ES2 forum with people talking about 200-20v looms being too short and having to drill another hole in the bulkhead etc. Took a while to put 2 and 2 together, they all have LHD cars

Just to clarify, cross member and IC will fit under the stock type89 front end, BUT a V6/S2 bumper will also fit? So in theory I could leave the headlights, hood etc stock and just change the bumper to accommodate a larger IC in the future? Reason I ask is an S2 bumper, lights, and hood would cost as much as the engine

One last Q on gearbox, would I be right in saying an ABY dual mass clutch will only mate to a 6 speed box? Or can I put a 7A/3B clutch on an ABY crank and use the existing 7A gearbox?

Thanks for all the help by the way, greatly appreciated

Mark.

P.S. Somebody please rear end there S2, I need a parts car

Comment

i left my lights and bonnet original untill i had enough money to buy bonnet(£70) 3 front pannels(£20) addapter plugs(FOC) and elipsoilds(£290), so yeah just put the s2/v6 bumper on looks loads better actually, or just cut and carve where your intercooler goes to suit, my 3B came with its clutch on and fitted straight up to the 7A gear box with no probs

check out this link
                      http://www.acidtrax.net/events/adi2004/048.JPG
                      pembo's CQ has the standard bumper just means you have to mesh the bottom instead of having the grills

i got everything for my conversion from these guy's -
                      http://www.allaudi.co.uk in bristol

any more questons just ask

Regards
                      Will

Comment

Thanks

Did you use your existing radiator, PAS pump, alternator, and airbox of should i add these to the list?

How did you go about fitting an oil cooler? 3B parts or custom?

I know allaudi fairly well, we actually bought an engine for our 93 S4 from them, big end went at 210k miles. We paid £1000 for just the head&block, it came out of a S6 with 80k miles on it, seemed like a good price. In this case I’ll need and engine complete with intake, exhaust, turbo etc.

I hate to ask but roughly how much did it cost you to collect all the parts you needed?

Thanks,

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar
                          Thanks

Did you use your existing radiator, PAS pump, alternator, and airbox of should i add these to the list?

How did you go about fitting an oil cooler? 3B parts or custom?

I know allaudi fairly well, we actually bought an engine for our 93 S4 from them, big end went at 210k miles. We paid £1000 for just the head&block, it came out of a S6 with 80k miles on it, seemed like a good price. In this case I’ll need and engine complete with intake, exhaust, turbo etc.

I hate to ask but roughly how much did it cost you to collect all the parts you needed?

Thanks,

Mark.
                          PAS the same, Alternator the same, Rads the same, Air box different
                          oil cooler + pipes came with the engine

i waited till they had a full car in then just took it all out of the one car £1200 for everything i basicly told them what i was doing and said i needed everything to complete the conversion, the engine i got needed new breather hoses which are about £120 the parts i got were as follows

Complete engine
                          IM
                          EM
                          Turbo+pipes
                          MAF
                          Inter/cool
                          Oil/Cool
                          Front Cross Member
                          Full Engine loom to fuse box
                          ecu
                          altitude senser
                          dump valve