SWB Sport Trubute project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
    Is it really necessary to break that fine A8 with low mileage?
    I wish i didnt have to break it, but the fact is I cant find an engine on its own for less than this whole car.

Any way some of it will be used for a good cause

Comment

This sounds like a fun project )

My first thoughts on leaving it auto is the physical fitment. The A8 autobox is a big'ol thing. Also i think the TCU looks for road speed signals and other parameters, (on the A8 Can bus) etc that are harder to replicate than converting to a manual where i know the box and engine fit in a coupe.

Cric

Comment

Hi Cric

I have sent you a PM.

Comment

NICE!

Good luck!

Comment

Found the wiring diagram but still need information on getting rid of the immobilizer before we start taking the A8 apart

Can anyone help?

Comment

Originally posted by le cric View Post
              This sounds like a fun project )

My first thoughts on leaving it auto is the physical fitment. The A8 autobox is a big'ol thing. Also i think the TCU looks for road speed signals and other parameters, (on the A8 Can bus) etc that are harder to replicate than converting to a manual where i know the box and engine fit in a coupe.

Cric
              Hi

One of the people we want to be able to drive this only has one leg. He has never driven at a trackday and loves the Audi SWB so we want to get it ticked off his bucket list if possible.

Fabrication to fit the Auto is not a problem, we have fabricators, welders, body guys, painter, trimmer and mechanics ready but simply dont have an electronics wizz kid on the team

If you (or anyone else) can help with wiring information or getting the immobilizer removed that would be a great help. I dont mind fitting a third party ECU system like motec as long as it has all we need as a kit and is set up ready to go.

Comment

For the immobilizer issue i used this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-VW-Imm...item3ce92ca586

Simple 12v power supply an splice into the ECU K-line. Worked very well on my set up.

As for wiring diagrams, i have a few, all sourced from searches on the net, but they are on my home machine. which i wont have access to for a couple of weeks as away on business.

You'd need to stay with the OE management, all ready programmed to work together, the ECU and TCU from memory are on the same engine harness, so remove it from the A8 complete including power relays etc.

But like i said before, its more complicated with the pedal box set up, drive-by-wire, input signals required for the ECU/TCU to remain auto than convert to manual, but i appreciate this isn't really an option. To remain Auto i think many more modules and parts of the A8 would be required, but ive never done it so its a very grey area.

Cric

Comment

Hi

Ordered one to try

At this point we will take the A8 apart wire by wire keeping whats needed.
                  We will then graft in what ever is a must have.
                  My mate did a 32v Lexus and there was 72 wires in one section and he finished up using 3

I will send you my email address. if you could send me anything that would help that would be great

Thanks for your help

Comment

Ecu unlock

I used a company in Plymouth to unlock my ecu delete the immobilizer and set it to manual gear box.im using a v8 5v ars from 2000 a6 .they are called cartech and we're less than £100

Comment

Originally posted by tone the bone View Post
                      I used a company in Plymouth to unlock my ecu delete the immobilizer and set it to manual gear box.im using a v8 5v ars from 2000 a6 .they are called cartech and we're less than £100
                      I contact Cartech and they think they can do what we want, so thanks for the info

Comment

Started striping out the Donor, its not in bad condition but I am not starting the project for real for about another month.
                        All the panels arrived this morning so we are ready to go.
                        If anyone wants any of the stuff that's coming off, please PM me

Comment

PM sent

Keep going with your project!

Comment

Not updated for 9 months as had to put the project on hold, I won't bore you but a lots gone on.

We have just started on it again, we are now using a manual box rather than the A8 auto, the flywheel is done and the engine is having a race ECU mapped to it on the dyno as I type this and should be back the second week in January 2016.

We have almost all the bits other than a set of wheels and tyres, anyone have a set for sale?

Comment

Brian Tonks is your man for repro SQ wheels.

Comment

I have not been very well and while i was incapacitated the workshop got on and shortened the shell.
                                I was not there so no pictures at the moment but they did take some so i will put them up as soon as i can.

Comment

Working...
                                X