• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intercooler on the (double hood)

Hi,
    my inglish isn´t good enough, but i try to describe my dream:

Why not fitting a big intercooler on the hood coverd like a double hood ,

the idea is: go from the turbo up trough the hood with a flexible tube
    than a flat intercooler and go back again trough the hood to the original entry .
    All coverd!!
    Sounds funny, but a buddy told me ,there was a racecar with this solution,
    but instead of flexible tubes, two tubes sticking together.

I try to draw this and than posting to here.I´m shure here are the members they
    know what I´m thinking.
    RS2 is Understatement

I don't usually care about looks but that solution is beyond even my threshold of pain.

You want airflow through the IC - not across it. That is why it is customary to have the IC perpendicular to the direction of travel. I can accept some ugly for more efficient. But that sounds ugly AND inefficient. Yikes.

Comment

Mmmm, interesting thought, but seeing that the trick on cars that have top mounted IC's is to front mount them, then it seems daft to go back to doing that. PLUS it would look VERY UGLY. Even worse than my car looks now!!
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

probably get better gains from doing a 'double pass', i.e. having 2 intercoolers or just using some kind of aquamist or other inline cooling element to supercool the inlet tract. I was having a funny 5 mins thinking about those office watercoolers and the element used in those to chill water right down. Saw a similar thing on a Porsche somewhere using a cooling coil to really chill down the air.
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Pressue drops will increase by using 2 ICs in series. One larger one or supplemental cooling through CO2 or water spay is better...Don't use Nitrous as it is an osidiser but you can achieve a similar cooling effect as CO2 with it (more expensive also)! When you balance up long term costs and ease of use, water spray is darn good solution for most people.

If you want to loook up cool technologies (no pun intended) check out vortex coolers used in missile Infra Red applications. I am sure google will throw something up on it. Can't be used for ICs though.
          1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
          Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Working...
          X