project winter "beater" begins tonite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project winter "beater" begins tonite

well, i couldn't bear to see my corrado sitting in the garage anymore so i called the insurance company a little sooner than i'd planned and swapped policies. the coupe goes under the knife this evening i believe.

there are going to be two distinct stages to this project, one fairly quick the other...well, we'll see.

the first phase consists of strut mounts, bushings etc....and lot's of body love. That may include a B4 hood as i was sent b4 eurolights instead of coupe lighs and sisn't realize till it was too late! Also going to remove the non-functioning AC and make sure all the electrical bits work!!!!

I figure that should only take a month once i get the parts.

the second phase is all to do with the motor. being that it's a 7A and i DO have a fairly tight budget (spending 10K on the engine when the car's worth maybe 6 isn't too brilliant ) things are up in the air. I have a spare '90 engine with headers etc.... and would like to put that in once I get it all cleaned up. Still haven't gotten a chance to bring that to a machine shop to measure the block but it will happen. A number of my friends have seen the insides of a VW 16V and believe the pistons are the same so if i have to bore, it looks like i can use overbore 16V pistons.....much better than 7a overbore as they actually EXIST!!!!!! at any rate much more to find out on that! I'm also going to investigate going to standalone efi. why? well, I want to learn as a basis for future projects i have in my head for a few years from now (my goal is a early to mid 80s jag xjs with a TT'd V12 and a 6-speed trans :mischeif: ) As well, i'd like to see if i can tune it so it's a bit better (ok ALOT!) on gas. to put it in perspective, my corrado VR6 uses between 1/2 and 2/3 the gas as the coupe.

at any rate, will provide pics along the way...including some tonite to show the "before" state. if anyone has any opinions or advice to give me, please don't hesitate!! this project will be more in depth than when i rebuilt my corrado as i didn't get inside the engine last time so i'm an empty glass when it comes to this!

Later
    1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Sorry mate
    7A pistons are unique. 16v pistons probably do fit, but the c/r might be different. And there is not much to bore over 82,5.
    -

Comment

well, I got a bit impatient when i got home tonite, forgot to do the before

the 9a engine has the same bore and CR as the 7a and the part number is one digit different. and that difference is in the first sequence. doesn't that just indicate a different "product" as in 054 is 7a and 053 is 9a? the only other thing i can think of causing incompatability would be the distance from the face to the wrist pin.....

at any rate, a buddy of mine has 9a pistons on a shelf so i'll compare directly. i showed him my spare pistons and the only thing he was unsure of is weather the 9a pistons had the cutout in the skirt for the oil squirters....something that can easily be machined in.
      Attached Files

Comment

the reason for the early start!
        Attached Files

Comment

well, the 9a pistons will be about 3mm too short (distance from wrist pin to face). sooooo i guess if i hafta use them i'd just HAFTA boost it :mischeif:

oh well, we'll see what happens

Comment

Working...
          X