V8 Torsen on rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Torsen on rear

I know this is an interesting thread. Problem is I don't have time to do it so a garage is doing it for it. Still I would try to give as much information and pictures possible.

So far the Coupe and V8 rear diff have been opened and both diffs retrieves. At first glance everything seems to go in perfectly (no machining whatsoever needed).

At the moment we are trying to find the best possible way to deactivate the manual locking mechanisim of the standard diff.

I am waiting for p/N 017525400A and 016409399B to arrive as they brake when talking the diff appart to remount the other one.

Other than that the original flanges are fit perfect on the V8 diff.

Will try to update, information and parts needed for sure pictures is going to be harder.

Cheers
    Attached Files
    94' RS2 Coupe TT (Twin Torsen )

Another picture of both diffs
    Attached Files

Comment

Empty housing
      Attached Files

Comment

Trying the diff movement. Seem to work Ok.

Both diffs were spares so I am finishing the rear brake project next monday-tuesday and test it with standard diff. In 2-3 weeks I will swap the whole rear diff box with the Torsen one.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks real good Spanish. Thanks for picking up the ball on this and running with it.
          Can you just leave out the locking gear, lever arm and disconnect the vaccum line?

Greg
          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Top Job! Let us know how you get on...
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe
              Looks real good Spanish. Thanks for picking up the ball on this and running with it.
              Can you just leave out the locking gear, lever arm and disconnect the vaccum line?

Greg
              Yes we could, but we are analyzing not to gave useless linkage in there just in case it moves.

Thanks for your support

Comment

if you have a litle mashined on the lsd diff you may have both,locking AND lsd....
                really nice pics and great topic.

Comment

Nice one dude, im gonna be doing this soon if i can find a V8 diff!!!
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                  Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I can't say I see many Audi V8s about. But if I do see one I'll let you know. I think you could do with a bit more traction!
                    SS

Comment

Does the audi V8 5 speed from 1991 have Torsen in the rear transmission.
                      I ask this cause I found rear transmission from this car for sale.
                      Thanks
                      Fabien
                      RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Comment

The torsen is in the rear diff. Yes.
                        SS

Comment

jepp! look at the rear housing...if there are NOT unit for rear locking on the housing.its LSD diff,but you may try it too....if you turn the wheel on rear,the OTHER wheel,will goes in the SAME direction.....is LSD diff!!! they are only prod from 89-94..then you have the rear diffCODING under the housing,stamped in..... AFV or AXZ!!

Comment

I'd prefer to say "The rear diff in a V8 is a Torsen" but I don't want to look like a total ***.

Comment

Torsen and LSD are 2 different things.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X