Maybach limo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybach limo

Blimey - saw one of these at Vauxhall Cross this morning, it's HUGE...

Most impressive were it's brakes. Up front it had TWO calipers on each front disc, and these were the big, multi-piston calipers that we all love too. The wheels were huge, the discs were of course huge as well. I guess you need a lot of clamping force to haul that thing down!
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Didn't know that about the brakes. So in true work avoidance style i hit google and found the following:

On the braking side, the Maybach is very well endowed. The Maybach has huge disc brake rotors at 14.8 inches up front and 14 inches in the back. The Maybach actually has six brake calipers instead of the normal four -- two calipers on each front wheel. The entire braking system is redundant and computer controlled so that the CPU can decide which calipers to activate and how much pressure to apply to each. Computer control also allows special software features to be added. For example, if your foot comes off the accelerator rapidly, the braking system notices. The braking system assumes that, a few milliseconds later, you will be hitting the brakes for a panic stop. So, during those few milliseconds, the computer can move the brake pads into position against the rotors to allow quicker brake activation.

And a pretty picture:
    Attached Files

Comment

Monstrous car... Saw one just the once over here... Massive tank of a ting.

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

How are you seeing all these flash cars Dan?!

Comment

Maybach

Well they are a great car to drive at speed. I loved taking out on a test drive after a service. Very complex cars to repair but I love a challenge. Great factory support. They do not want the customers dissatisfied.
          "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Originally posted by Robatron
            How are you seeing all these flash cars Dan?!
            I'm moving in all the best circles Rob!

This one just drove past me at Vauxhall Cross as I was at the pedestrian crossing...

Makes you think though - that Maybach looked to me to be almost as long as one of those Lincoln Town Car stretch limos and you can see the level of engineering that Mercedes (ooh, sorry, Maybach) have put in to it to make it go and stop properly, whereas in those stretch limo jobbies you don't really get the same impression that the chassis and brakes have been uprated to cope with the additional weight...
            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Working...
            X