ABY crank locking tool wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY crank locking tool wanted

Does anyone have one i could borrow please?
    I know its possible to make one but i dont have any steel box section or anything similar.

thanks
    martin

i remember reading somewhere that Doug has 1 so he may be able to help
    Nautic Blue UR-Quattro RS2spec ABY20v kkk26/27 hybrid,Bremsport Brake Kit n some other Gubbins.water injection. Mihnea tuned Management The old Bus
    0-60 4.9
    1/4mile 13.5

Comment

Make one yourself.

It's very easy. Take a piece of pipe (with a thick wall) that fits in the hole of the cranckshaftpulley. Cut a piece out of it so that it falls over the bump inside the pulley.
      Then weld a pipe with a minimum length of one meter to it. This way you can easily lock the cranckshaft pulley while tightening or losening the Bolt.

It must be tightened with 380 Nm. Also that means 38 kg/m. Also with a pipe of 1meter you can apply enough pressure to hold it.

Comment

Hi Paul, I like the philosphy of making a tool if you don't have it. Shame I can't weld.

Incidentally, do you have a brother by the name of "Par"?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. You've probably heard this one million times before.

Comment

Sal has my locking tool - ask him for a lend.
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
            Sal has my locking tool - ask him for a lend.

Ive tried that previously and got no response
            Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
            2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo
              Hi Paul, I like the philosphy of making a tool if you don't have it. Shame I can't weld.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. You've probably heard this one million times before.

Nuvo The VAG tool number is VAG3256,
              but if you car has air/con then the front crank pully is to deep and tool don't fit,
              go for home made tools of forum members as theirs will be tryed and tested
              Dez

Never did overtime until i purchased........s2

Comment

Ok i'll see if i can get in touch with Sal.
                I dont have any large tube etc to make one, just thought it would be a lot easier to borrow one
                I've an ABY block i need to strip asap, it isnt in a car and the crank pulley is still on, i dunno how i'm gonna get hold of the damn thing to get it undone.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo

Hehehe...
                  acidtrax

Comment

Martin,

I made one - although I'm embarrassed to lend it out. When I went to the steel stockists they didn't have any 66mm diameter pipe that I could use and i was getting pretty desperate.....

So I had a scout around and cut down one of the wife's washing poles @66mm diameter - 4mm wall and cut it to shape

I then had to look for a brace/tube/pipe... I've moved recently and have no facilities or steel stock, so I sacrificed a shovel - 3mm plate

...and TIG welded it all together. You're welcome to a loan - it does work very well - tightened right up to 450nm without a creak.

it's just that it doesn't look very Audi - let me know - I'm down in Banbury tomorrow if that's any use

Raymond

ABY - Non Aircon
                    1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                    1987 CQ85RS
                    1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                    1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                    Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                    Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

LOL Raymond, if it does the job thats good enough for me.

But this engine had aircon would it still work?

martin

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
                        LOL Raymond, if it does the job thats good enough for me.

But this engine had aircon would it still work?

martin
                        I really don't know whether the pulley is deeper for aircon. I think that the ABY pulley may have the postion for the aircon belt on the pulley - so, if you don't have aircon, you still have the same pulley - but without the drive belt

... perhaps someone can confirm if thats true
                        1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                        1987 CQ85RS
                        1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                        1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                        Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                        Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Hi!,

Yep, the aircon pulley is deeper. Or at least the lug that the tool locates on is more recessed. Unlike the other pulleys there is something like 20mm of depth before the lug starts. Problem with the Audi tools is that the tube that locates the lug is too short.
                          However if the tool you made is deeper than the proper tools it might be ok.
                          As a reference the 3256 is only 21mm deep and the other tool was shorter than that. So if the part that goes in the crank pulley is deeper than that it might get you out of trouble.

Martin, can you get the dimension from the pulley face to the start of the lug and also the width of the lug.

Comment

Hello again!,
                            Having got my brain into gear (unlike my ****!). Am I right in thinking that the pulley for the ribbed belt is removable. Not sure whether that is achievable without removing the whole pulley or not.
                            It's difficult to see from the illustration. If it is secured by the same bolts that hold the crank pulley, then i guess the answer is no!
                            Last edited by twoqu; 30 August 2005, 22:28.

Comment

I'll have a look tomorrow and get some measurements.
                              i MIGHT be able to make something for it at work, i'll have to have a root around for some material, they dont really stock much steel (useless ****s)

thanks again
                              martin

Comment

Working...
                              X