OEM RS2 wastegate spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM RS2 wastegate spring

Anyone got a standard spring ? Maybe left over from tuning. Low miles ideally as I would like to test the 'ageing spring theory'
    Alastair
    RS2

Hi!

I understand that the uncompressed length of the orginal spring is 82mm. Think there was some more info about the rate somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it!

Comment

Thanks. I think the ADU spring is the same as the ABY spring on a different mount. I am sure someone here will know. Paul ?
      I just want to check if there is such a thing as 'spring ageing/tension loss' as I cannot find a clear answer here or elsewhere.
      Alastair
      RS2

Comment

Well here is the info from the Krummer site.
        It implies that all the 20V wastegate springs are the same:
        82mm free length
        80mm with 0.8kg load
        75mm with 2.2kg load.
        In comparsion it lists an MTM spring:
        73mm free length
        70mm with 3.7kg load
        65mm with 5.0kg load.

Like anything else I guess its possible that the spring has relaxed. Guess it would depend on how much action it has seen!

Comment

Yeah - the 20VT springs are all the same and I'm not aware of a different mount on the RS2 WG housing.

I have a spare WG complete from an Italian RS2 in the garage - I'll try to find some time for investigation over the weekend.

Paul
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

seems everyone is hoarding a collection of Rs2 parts these days - except me

I actually thought there was a difference between 3b/ABy and others but cant remember where I read it...
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
              Yeah - the 20VT springs are all the same and I'm not aware of a different mount on the RS2 WG housing.

I have a spare WG complete from an Italian RS2 in the garage - I'll try to find some time for investigation over the weekend.

Paul
              Thanks Paul
              Given they are all the same can you buy new ones from anywhere.
              So the ABY and ADU wastegates are the same? During my search of the forum I am sure there was reference to some difference. I will look again !

I wonder if 'spring ageing' explains the differences in wastegate determined/mechanical boost that you and Mihnea discussed back in the 'old days'
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...tegate+springs
              Last edited by alg; 23 June 2006, 09:09.
              Alastair
              RS2

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk
                seems everyone is hoarding a collection of Rs2 parts these days - except me

I actually thought there was a difference between 3b/ABy and others but cant remember where I read it...
                Yep that is where my confusion came about mount differences I think
                Alastair
                RS2

Comment

Mmmm...
                  So reading between the lines. Wouldn't unplugging the wgfv give you the answer. Assuming you have an accurate boost gauge. Would then have to determine who has the right baseline figure!

Comment

Agreed
                    However I have not got a boost gauge and was planning simply to switch springs and use the 'seatopants meter'
                    Alastair
                    RS2

Comment

Little off topic, but can anybody tell me how to set the adjustment nut to the correct position? Number of turns, measure the depth, any way at all?
                      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Im sure paul posted something about this, check out s2central.net he may have added it to there
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Having searched the 'wastegate spring' threads I do not think its an exact science as any increased tension usuallly needs re mapping for optimum results.
                          Alastair
                          RS2

Comment

Working...
                          X