Front suspension shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension shocks

Hi. I’m after 1 standard front shock for my S2 avant ABY. Or 2 matching non standard if they are stiffer/lower etc. Or part numbers and where to get as I’ve been through 7 different ones so far and none fit correctly and one of mine is leaking and failed the mot. Thanks

Huw,

a) I've no dampers to offer but would like to hear details of your fitment difficulty. Perhaps exactly what you might use can be pin-pointed if you could highlight the particular issue(s)? Are you doing this work yourself?

b) I think one could say that some dampers in stock struts might accommodate a lower ride height, but that height is determined by the spring and not altered by the damper. The springs you plan to use may be stock originals, correct? Are there factory colour code markings present on them? What suspension code does your trunk sticker say?

c) Your car is a '93 or later with 55mm diameter struts, correct? Do you have your current damper part number &/or those that did not fit?

There is a great deal of expertise around here, give them something more specific to chew on &/or see; and perhaps you will draw someone in who will have had a similar experience.

Comment

Hi

No it’s being done by the test centre and the ones they have had so far have been too narrow. They need to be about 55mm I’m told.

Everything is stock, well as much as possible, on the car. The strings are original I believe. Not sure about colour codes as i can’t say I’ve ever seen one. Or any suspension codes. I can ask in the morning.

Yes its 95 and part no 8A0413503K and is 55mm. So far googling this part some that supposidly match are 50 mm and smaller so I can see the issue the garage are having.

Since posting and searching through here I have found koni and bilstein equivalent numbers and that the originals are likely Boge. So if possible to keep it original I would prefer Boge but I doubt that’s still an option any more?

Thanks

Comment

Huw,

When googling you may see some listings where down below in the ad, the description/application list includes the 55mm damper diameter you likely require. The gland nut (goes on top of strut tube & holds damper in strut) will have too small of an OD for your strut tube if 50mm. Sachs appears to make a suitable 55mm Boge replacement (same company).

Comment

Hi. I don’t suppose you know which Sachs model number? If not I’ll start googling now. Thanks

Comment

I have a pair of good 55mm shocks, I think in boge and bilstein. I will check to see exactly tomorrow afternoon if you still need them

Comment

No I don't but you could ask what do dealers install these days when faced with this?

Sachs may not have an exact twin to yours, but they do have V6 dampers which if you bought a pair, may be close enough to your originals, the cautions would be to confirm the supplied gland nut size is correct and whether S2 springs are nearly as tall as V6's; aren't they? See page 149 here:

file:///C:/Users/Home/Downloads/SX_CAT_EBook_Shock-Absorbers-for-PC_12296_V02_201606_IN.pdf

It may this issue is what drives folks towards Bilsteins etc. If you drive on some B6's you may find that they are worth pursuing.

Surely someone else here has looked into precisely this near to OEM replacement.

Comment

Hi. I’ve asked the garage to order some bilstein which look to be the right ones this time. I will check with them in the morning. If they haven’t already or they are wrong again I will have them off you. Thanks

Comment

The dealer doesn’t touch my car if I tried. They so far haven’t managed to find any parts when asked and directed me to indipentent garages.

Comment

Working...
                  X