Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nightmare - Blown rear diff or transfer box!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare - Blown rear diff or transfer box!

After less than a week of S2 ownership I have suffered a bit of a problem.

Upon hard acceleration from a standing start at a T junction the rear diff or transfer box let go.

Can anyone let me know where I can source second hand replacements? Is it worth putting an RS2 rear axle on instead while I am swapping out?

I was intending to keep the car standard and run her for 12 months or so before doing upgrades, however if I am going to have to spend some money now it is worth considering the options.

Any help or advice is really appreciated!

Darren

P.S. Is this a common failure?

What car do you have Coupe or Avant?

What makes you think it's the rear diff?

PM Sal or Chen of the forum for 2nd hand bits

There isn't a transfer box that I know of on the S2 unless you mean gearbox / torsen centre diff?

Comment

Sorry to hear your bad news.

SR71 has a rear diff for the avant. The RS2 has the same unit.
      The transfer box is in the gearbox.

The Clown from Clowne strikes again!
      Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
      England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

The rear diff's are usually pretty bomb-proof, so if that is what gave then no it's not common! Good news is, they can be bought used pretty cheap and with a bit of mechanical know-how fitted yourself too. Just need to be sure that is what gave out!
        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Thanks guys.

It is an S2 Avant (ABY). I am not sure what has given up at the moment as I have had to limp the car to the MOT station which was conveniently round the corner.

I haven't had the car on the ramps but sounds like coming from centre diff or the rear diff.

I will PM the contacts you have given to check availability of spare parts and get on with putting her back together.

Darren

Comment

I have a spare center diff and odds and ends of the gearbox, also got bell housing so let us know what u may need and i will have a look to see whats there.
            Hope it's not too bad.
            Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Will get back to you when I have pinpointed the problem. It's good to know that these types of failures are uncommon.

Regards

Darren

Comment

Box and diff failures are not common. Sure it's not a driveshaft / CV?

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ View Post
                  Box and diff failures are not common. Sure it's not a driveshaft / CV?
                  A loose driveshaft will sound pretty nasty and will loose drive. Are you sure Audi Dave hasn't forgot to do up the bolts securing a driveshaft?
                  SS

Comment

A driveshaft/cv joint failure is a real possibility and my favourite of all the possibilities as the cheapest to rectify!

I will recover the car back to our workshop and strip it down over the weekend.

Darren

Comment

Whatever it is well done, not many people can claim they broke the drive train in a quattro
                      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                        Whatever it is well done, not many people can claim they broke the drive train in a quattro
                        I never thought of it like that. I'll keep my broken ARV as a trophy then.
                        SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                          I never thought of it like that. I'll keep my broken ARV as a trophy then.
                          You could frame it and give it to Steph for Christmas!
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                          X