Big nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big nuts

...medium nuts and small nuts. And bolts. actually, mostly bolts. Can anybody tell me where is best to get a supply of fixings for my reassembly? It's mostly going to be replacements for the 13mm M8s holding the xmember etc on, then a few exhaust bolts and various bits and bobs that will come to light as I take the engine and gearbox out. Oh yes. and the bolts and flat spring washer things that hold the lights into the front bumper. Even if you know the specs of the usual suspects it would help me.

cheers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Screwfix

Link
    UrS6 - Homefry, Bailey DV, PiperX filter, Samco hoses, H&R springs, 3" D/P back zorst, 270bhp and 260ftlb :rock:

Triumph Daytona 955i - mmmmmm :fire:

80 dag dag :driving:

Comment

You might be able to get them from here:

Fyfe & McGrouther
      250, Kennedy St,
      Glasgow,
      Lanarkshire
      G4 0BS
      Tel: 0141 552 4966

Comment

cheers lads. I'll try the glasgow supplier first so I can go in armed with some that i've taken out and demand replacements. better that than me getting the sizes mixed up and ending up with 100 bolts the size of my arm.
        1990 CQ20v

Comment

Don't forget - you need HI-Tensile nuts and bolts ....
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Another very very useful place is this place... Namrick
            They sell mainly to restorers and such like, and can supply many useful and odd sizes and clips, etc...
            They also send out at cost, so don't take your trousers down over delivery costs.
            Had many orders from them, always excellent service and great quality bits and bobs...
            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

cheers Paul - i've had that firmly implanted in my mind. don't fancy anything falling off on my maiden voyage up the M8

I'll have a nosey at that Namrick place Chris, cheers.

On another note... my front bumper has a couple of cracks that will need repaired. What i'm wondering is can a body shop repair the lower black part so it's invisible? I know how to fill and spray but I don't know how that lower half would work.
              1990 CQ20v

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                Don't forget - you need HI-Tensile nuts and bolts ....

Watching this with interest as I am doing the same....

What areas DEFINATELY need hi-tensile and what doesnt that could be replaced with s/steel? Also anyone have a linky to the tensile strengths that scales where s/s sits, e.g. what A2/A4 etc mean. I picked up some stuff from a local nut/bolt place on friday and he said that basically s/steel could be used on suspension components EXCEPT braking areas.

Anyone help out/clarify pls, i'm sick of trying to get rusted stuff off the underside of the car so s/s is very attractive option as u can imagine
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

hope this helps- quite good for bolt strengths and sizes
                  http://euler9.tripod.com/bolt-database/22.html
                  Table 10 at the bottom gives tensile strengths etc

Comment

great link thanks!
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

[QUOTE=s2driveruk;241736]Watching this with interest as I am doing the same....

I picked up some stuff from a local nut/bolt place on friday and he said that basically s/steel could be used on suspension components EXCEPT braking areas

did he give you a reason for not using s/steel for braking areas?
                      never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

Originally posted by denniselbows View Post
                        did he give you a reason for not using s/steel for braking areas?
                        Did he need to?
                        SS

Comment

not high tensile....

So the question is where else could it be used without issue...?
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

The only way that you can be really sure that the stainless bolt will be up to the job, is to find the grade of the existing bolt( usually printed on the head e.g 8.8 9.8 10.9 12.9 -low to high grade) then get stainless bolts that are of the same grade- stainless will cover most of the cosmetic bolts but unlikely to cover the high load areas like brakes and suspension- if they are available for the high tensile areas they are likely to be bloody expensive!!

Comment

Cheers Dubmeister...thats all i needed to know. I guess i'll just smear everything in some moly or similar once its all been changed to try and stop the corrosion.
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X