V6 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 coupe

Rather than highjack sals thread I thought I would post here. Im possibly looking for a V6 cruiser for around town in time to come but Im not sure which is best to get. The 2.6 or the 2.8?

Also would anyone happen to know how easy these are to modify without spending a fortune. I quite like the idea of a silky smooth V6 but with much better performance to match.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Rob

I have not seen a 2.6 coupe. The 2.6 in the 80 body only gave 150 bhp and was not v torquey low down. The 2.8 is a better bet with 172 bhp and more grunt. However it is "old" technology - 2 valve/ cyl etc etc and rather thirsty too ( low 20s ). I have seen 2.8 coupe quattros for sale, but rare. The FWD wears front tyres fast. Very little possible on the tuning front for either engine, both were designed for refinement rather than output. Keep saving for an S2 ! James.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswkr
      I have not seen a 2.6 coupe. The 2.6 in the 80 body only gave 150 bhp and was not v torquey low down. The 2.8 is a better bet with 172 bhp and more grunt. However it is "old" technology - 2 valve/ cyl etc etc and rather thirsty too ( low 20s ). I have seen 2.8 coupe quattros for sale, but rare. The FWD wears front tyres fast. Very little possible on the tuning front for either engine, both were designed for refinement rather than output. Keep saving for an S2 ! James.
      My other car is a 2,8 V6 coupe quattro. Difference between the 2,6 is that the bigger engine has a labirinth suction tube that switches from long route to short when revs go up. With its 172 HP and a K&N airfilter it goes smootly. Good low end but far from a sporty car. It goes some 230 Km/H, consumes about 8-11 liters. If there would be no S2 on earth, I would still be in love with the V6. Its possible to tune the chip for an additional 12 HP and 20 NM. Not very costly.
      Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

I have a slightly modified '94 2.8q coupe, the engine has been tweeked with ported+polished heads, throttle body and MAF; custom exhaust from the downpipes back; no chip as one does not exist for the Hitachi ECU on these engines, I think there was one for the very early Bosch ECUs but I wouldn't worry on a NA engine The engine does respond well to smoother airflow leading to better breathing and there can be a nice noticeable increase in torque from around 2000rpm upto the natural torque increase at 4100 rpm when the intake manifold changeover occurs . There are no off-the -shelf products here, it's all custom but you can certainly equal and surpass the later 30v 2.8 with some good porting work.

There are more 2.6 fwd coupes around than 2.8 fwd or quattro (UK) but the 2.8 does have the extra 20+ bhp but is a more complex engine with the switchable length intake manifold.
        30v 80 Cabriolet - FOR SALE!

Comment

I have a 80 2.8 but i dont feel from it such power.. like those 174 hp is usless is that possible because its automatic transmission? or because i have trouble with the gear box? i have the a spare gear box but also automatic ...waiting the weeked for installition and we will see the result.

Comment

Ok..thanks for the info gents.

Hmmm...what to do... The possibility of getting a V6 is tempting I have to say but then I see James's S2 drive past and makes me crave for a 20v turbo.

Comment

I will blip the throttle on the way past if your car is outside - keep the faith...

Comment

LOL...I'll be listening

Comment

Working...
                X