S2 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 turbo

Anyone got a second-hand S2 turbo (aka "boat anchor") hanging around that they want to get rid of and which works?

I don't care how many miles it has on it, as long as it works and the bearings aren't shot.

Its needed for a short term interim solution between my present one (my turbo bearings are shot) and the RS2 solution.

Cheers.
    00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
    08 RRS TDV6 HSE
    03 Kawasaki B2 ZX12R 1287cc

Do u want buy or borrow?

Andy

Comment

I have one too. Was thinking of putting it up on ebay and manifold too next week. What are both items worth?

Comment

I also have ABY EM and Turbo. 143.000 Km on them.
        94' RS2 Coupe TT (Twin Torsen )

Comment

Well as a guide AET sell new/recon ones for £350+VAT, i need a new one aswell but with emmigrating, wanting suspension, silicone water pipes, and a new stereo, i will have to coax mine along .
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

i have the s2 turbo too....from a 3b

Comment

If someone would lend me one great. Its for a 1994 ABY.

I know about AET but as I'm waiting on a MRC sourced RS2 turbo I don't wanna spend £ re-conditioning mine.

Might as well just stick a functional old S2 turbo in because mine is vibrating like hell.

I'm presuming its the turbo thats gone.

The symptoms are in 4/5/6, above 3000rpm, as soon as the turbo is > 0psi, I get a gradual whine/vibration that just gets worse and worse as rpms climb.

Oddly enough, in the lower gears, even at 15psi+ and high rpms, I get no whine.

I presume that it (the whine) is a function of turbine rpm although I always thought there was a one-to-one correlation between turbine rpm and engine rpm...whereupon I'd get the whine in the lower gears...

00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
              08 RRS TDV6 HSE

Comment

@SR71: it's the first time I ever hear of symptoms such as yours, are you sure it's the turbo??? Honestly, I've had the K24 go in my 3B and it didn't do like this at all, I was getting a police siren type of whine in all gears and it was very noticeable at part throttle in all gears...

HTH,

Mihnea
                '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                info@MRCTuning.com
                Workshop Directions

Comment

If this is only happening in 4th/5th and 6th then it is speed/load related and more likely to be something in the drivetrain than the engine. Engine/turbo faults don't ust go away because you are in a lower gear. Just my 2pc worth.

Graeme.
                  94 UrS4 Avant, slowly modding as we go. Now gone replaced with:
                  2001 S6 Avant, V8 works for me!

Comment

Hi

I have 24 from 3B laying around, if u need I can lend to u. PM me.

Cheers

Andrius

Comment

Cheers guys. Andrius - I'll hang fire for a more informed diagnosis.

Symptoms are as follows:

I can thrash the car in 1/2/3 gear and until about 6000rpm in these gears, and I get no vibration.

In 4/5/6 if I gradually accelerate up to high rpms in these gears I can avoid getting the vibration.

However, If I go to WOT in these gears, once the turbo is in boost AND you are above ~3000rpm, I get a vibration/whine. The vibration/whine stops immediately once the turbo is back in vac.

Its most obvious in 5/6 cruising on the motorway.

In 6th at about 65mph, whenever you put the turbo into boost, you get the vibration/whine. It goes away when it drops back into vac.

Just like clockwork.

I have wondered whether it is the turbo because, like everyone has said, I can't see how it wouldn't manifest the same symptoms in the lower gears because for every value of boost, there must be a particular turbine rpm.

@ JPL: The correlation with boost is undeniable. Its not speed because like I said, depending on how you get to that speed I can avoid acquiring the vibration i.e., accelerating slowly without putting the turbo in boost I can reach high speeds with no vibration. What might be the problem with the drive-train?

Anyone else with any ideas?

00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
                      08 RRS TDV6 HSE

Comment

can someone lend me a 27 and a sportmanifold.?
                        RS for ‘Rennsport’ - ‘Motorsport’ in German

Comment

@ JPL: The correlation with boost is undeniable. Its not speed because like I said, depending on how you get to that speed I can avoid acquiring the vibration i.e., accelerating slowly without putting the turbo in boost I can reach high speeds with no vibration. What might be the problem with the drive-train?

Just thinking out loud really. Remember that boost in a high gear = massive load through through the drive train, and if you're already doing 60+ mph then driveshafts, CV joints, propshaft, diff, etc, will already be spinning quite fast and then have to deal with the extra torque when you floor it. I just can't see it being an engine fault if it pulls full boost OK in the lower gears. Would a knackered turbo give this level of boost reliably, without smoke, etc, in lower gears only? I'm no expert but when turbo bearings go, they go big time. I don't think they give intermittent faults.

Lots of things can give vibration under boost, including the dreaded coil pack misfire, but a whine as well? Sounds bearing related, output shaft from the gearbox, propshaft, diff, etc all spring to mind. Where is the vibration coming from? Through the steering wheel or up through the seat?

Again, just thinking out loud.

Graeme.
                          94 UrS4 Avant, slowly modding as we go. Now gone replaced with:
                          2001 S6 Avant, V8 works for me!

Comment

Sounds like the vibration is coming from the engine bay.

Its not there all the time so its got to be boost/load related.

I've always been suspicious it wasn't the turbo as like you say, no smoking, the turbo boosts to the right figures i.e., overboost in the lower gears, and .8bar in the higher gears up to redline.

Other than that the car drives fine...

It first started a few months ago and was only present at very high rpms. Its not got worse in that even cruising on the motorway at 65+, as soon as I get the turbo into boost at ~3000rpm, the vibration starts and gradually gets worse as the rpms climb. The turbo still boosts fine its just the associated vibration shouldn't be there.

00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
                            08 RRS TDV6 HSE

Comment

Working...
                            X