Aftermarket ECU Feature List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket ECU Feature List

I've tried to make a start on this one - should really become a living FAQ in terms of what systems support which features that are relevant to 5-cyl applications.

This is NOT a definitive list and only contains info off the top of my head - I haven't checked with vendors claims and datasheets etc... Feel free to comment and add your own knowledge. It should help with system selection as all the aftermarket ECUs do not have the same capabilities.

I do have a long term engine project along the way and I would be looking for a system that provides the easiest environment to work in, provides integrated boost control, has programmable temperature compensation and has the best solution for adaptive ignition control / knock prevention. Oh and working with factory sensors would be a bonus to minimise any twatting about with 3rd party devices.

I know knock is the hardest thing to cater for - Bosch must spend crazy money on this, so the aftermarket guys can't play on the same level.

Paul
    Attached Files
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Paul you'll need to expand the list of features and ECU variants. This table from 034 shows the comparisons between their different ECU's.

You also missed Repo's Tatech system off of there. Amongst its features are:
    • Injector control (up to 6 separate injectors)
    • Direct ignition / distributor (up to 6 separate coils)
    • Realtime adjusting
    • Anti-lag system
    • Wastegate control
    • Shift light
    • RPM limiter
    • Water injection control
    • Fan control
    • Fuel pump control
    • Data logging (RS232 and internal FLASH)
    • Flat Shift
    • PWM Valve control
    • Exhaust temperature measuring & overheat protection
    • Launch control
    • Knock sensor
    • Overboost protection
    • Fuel&Oil&Exhaust pressure measurement
    • Autotune function with wideband lambda sensor
    • Fuel map tuning & analyzing in 3D
    • Ignition map tuning & analyzing in 3D
    • Marking of lean and rich mixture ratios in real time or from collected data
    • Inductive sensor interface with addon-board
    • Internal wideband controller with addon-board
    • Variable valve timing (e.g. VANOS) with addon-board
    • Traction control with addon-board

Cheers
    Mark - Modded

Comment

Guess you've looked into the Tatech system then Mark?
      You must be almost done now surely?
      Cheers
      Chris
      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

to update your spreadsheet I can tell you from personal experience that 034, VEMS, and MOTEC all support:

- boost control
        - Compensation for air temp
        - Compensation for engine temp (coolant)

Crank Sensors supported by 034 and VEMS are both VR and HALL, same with Cam sensor. Not sure what you mean having two separate line items for RPM sensor and crank sensor?

What do you mean by adaptive ignition control? For instance, you say that VEMS does not have it yet it does support knock control, which is in a sense adaptive ignition control.
        Marc Swanson
        Proprietor, EFI Express
        95.5 //S6 Avant
        90' Coupe Quattro V8 4.2L twin turbo
        93' //S4
        83' UrQ
        97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

This is good feedback folks... I'll create an update comparison tool. Wish I had more time to do this justice.

To my point about separating adaptive ignition control from knock protection... I see a subtle difference between the two. On a truly adaptive system, lets say its mapped on 98RON fuel, then run on 95 - rather than detecting knock and then retarding ignition by a nominal safety margin... A truly adaptive system would gradually retard timing across the map to dial out the knock more intelligently. This is what Bosch Motronic does...

Actually it would be useful to put Bosch Motronic capability on that spreadsheer to complete the picture.
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
            This is good feedback folks... I'll create an update comparison tool. Wish I had more time to do this justice.

To my point about separating adaptive ignition control from knock protection... I see a subtle difference between the two. On a truly adaptive system, lets say its mapped on 98RON fuel, then run on 95 - rather than detecting knock and then retarding ignition by a nominal safety margin... A truly adaptive system would gradually retard timing across the map to dial out the knock more intelligently. This is what Bosch Motronic does...

Actually it would be useful to put Bosch Motronic capability on that spreadsheer to complete the picture.

gotcha, now I know watchamean
            Marc Swanson
            Proprietor, EFI Express
            95.5 //S6 Avant
            90' Coupe Quattro V8 4.2L twin turbo
            93' //S4
            83' UrQ
            97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
              Guess you've looked into the Tatech system then Mark?
              You must be almost done now surely?
              Cheers
              Chris
              Nearly done Chris, but I wont have the time or money to go standalone anytime soon.

I'll have to sit back and watch what others do first I think.
              Mark - Modded

Comment

That's good to hear Mark.
                Hope to see both of you at GTI this year then.
                Cheers
                Chris
                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X