Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chances running VEMS on Automatic gearbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chances running VEMS on Automatic gearbox?

My mate has 1996 UrS6 with Automatic box.he's asking me to dig up some infos if
    it has any chances running the VEMS standalone on Automatic box.I do believe
    there's some communications between TCU and ECU.let's say some function like
    retard timing while the gear shifting up or down,speed sensor etc.I have converted my car from Automatic to Manual which it ain't easy and cost a fortune since all conversion parts needed to be imported from stateside or europe.Anyone BTDT?or any possibilities to get it done on automatic car?
    one of a few I5 from Asia.

Have a search for Compushift. You might get an idea of what inputs/outputs you need.
    I know Ashcroft Transmissions in UK do a kit for ZF4HPEH. It may be of help.

Comment

Originally posted by popdemonic View Post
      My mate has 1996 UrS6 with Automatic box.he's asking me to dig up some infos if
      it has any chances running the VEMS standalone on Automatic box.I do believe
      there's some communications between TCU and ECU.let's say some function like
      retard timing while the gear shifting up or down,speed sensor etc.I have converted my car from Automatic to Manual which it ain't easy and cost a fortune since all conversion parts needed to be imported from stateside or europe.Anyone BTDT?or any possibilities to get it done on automatic car?
      It would involve getting the pinouts of the ECU and TCU. That will tell you what signals come from where. I research this with the ABK automatic. There is really just one wire/signal that is very important. The timing retard signal on shift.
      I know of one guy who has a Corrado VR6T automatic (096 trans IIRC) with VEMS and Lugtronic got it to work. I never found out what kind of signal it is. I did ask, but Lug never answered. The dude that owns the car knows nothing about it.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ent&p=71564128

Usually the TCUs from that era need the following inputs:
      VSS
      TPS
      IGN timing
      RPM
      Shifter position.

The TCU sends a brief "I am shifting now, could you please retard the ignition advance so the trans does not bang?" signal to the ECU.
      All the other signals can go direct from the sensors to the TCU. This is the case with the Digifant 2 with automatic system.
      However, if the TCU gets all those signals or some through the ECU, it gets quite complicated.
      I can tell you that sharing sensor signals sucks and can cause problems, especially RPM. Ask me how I know.

I asked Marc about VEMS for automatics years ago. He said it would take a bunch of research. For AAN automatics its not really worth it. The Motronic ECU is just fine for that. Besides, the 4HP18FLA max torque handling is about 400-410Nm.

Its possible, but some one needs to just try it. There are no AAN automatics in the US, so it would be difficult to convince someone to try it.
      '96 UrS6 auto PRJ chipped E85
      '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisAudi80 View Post
        It would involve getting the pinouts of the ECU and TCU. That will tell you what signals come from where.
        AAN ECU pins 42, 51 and 54:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/21009.phtml
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
          There was one more pin. 43 maybe?
          However, need to know what these signals are.
          '96 UrS6 auto PRJ chipped E85
          '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

Working...
          X