Stand-alone / VEMS - Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand-alone / VEMS - Thoughts?

guys being that it is damn near impossible to get anyone from overseas interested to tune my S2 here in Australia (either too busy/too hard basket etc or just no response)
    obviously a live tune or something would need to happen, so i feel it seems to hard for any tuners overseas to do it

this means im stuck and may have to go standalone ecu or piggy back

now i know a few here are using VEMS, however im no tuner and im sure my contact here in Aus would not have used it

Anyone here have thoughts on going standalone VS factory ecu tuning?
    Current:
    1993 Audi S2 Kingfisher Blue - GTX3582r w/ E85 = 430kw atw

Past:
    2002 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue Stage 3+ - 250kw+ atw
    2001 Audi S3 Silver - 169kw+ atw

Example Motec install on an AAN in Oz

VEMS certainly is popular here (NAmerica) for self-tuning AANs. There is good support through a users forum and firms like EFI Express (Marc S.). Marc has a kit for easy (but not cheap install). The other alternative is "generic" chips from homefries or prj here.

That said, here is a pdf done by Tony Guttmann, a math prof. somewhere in Oz (Melbourne or Adelaide??) regarding a Motec installation on his UrS4 AAN. It might give you an idea of what would be involved.

http://12v.org/urs/TonyGuttmannsMotecInstall.pdf
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thank you for your informed reply.

I have been in touch with prj, he didnt want to provide a "generic" tune for my setup and said its best to "live tune" it but i do not think he is interested to tune my car.
      Thats the impression i get anyways

i may try the guy that Tony Guttman mentioned in his write up. Hopefully he is still in the business and he is only a few hours away from me. Just a few. lol
      Current:

Past:

Comment

I live in Thailand,There're 3 VEMS users right here in Thailand.If you buy the VEMS with 55pins Bosch style connector.the installation is
        pretty easy and straightforward.I don't think you would need any additional wirings on this day unlike the early version that needs
        N80 valve provision wirings otherwises you would never get good idle.Tuning is the hardest parts since i believe that task is not
        for ordinary owners/drivers.Something needs to be learnt.if you have some understanding on basic of engine,i believe you're good to go for vems.
        A lot of vems experts is around here,they can help you when you hit the wall.
        PS.Australia is such a peaceful place i really want to go back except i coudn't drive a big block Holden over 100km/h
        one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

what VEMS unit are most people using? the v3?
          Current:

Past:

Comment

yes,V3 if you puschase from Marc.i think he already done the N80 provision on the Genboard.that's what i talked to Marc lately.
            one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Go vems plug and play. Plenty of startup maps to get you going then any tuner will quickly adapt to how to tune it or with a bit of reading your able to do it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

As im a little new to vems can some one point me out the plug and play one that would be suitable
                Current:

Past:

Comment

vems is a viable option. if you have no tuning experience it doesn't help. read and learn a little first before you make a choice. megamaunual.com was always a good starting point. if its still about.

mines an early vems. i use no idle valve, use megatune still and old firmware. it ran fine, idle was fine but not factory. having said that my setups not factory either.

if you get a config thats similar or matching others it will be a good help. by that i mean pnp ecu, 044 pump, injector specs. i use for instance seimmens 650cc. not sure on the current trend.

you could also try a linkecu. more users out there. ive tuned a couple of links in the past. not on audi but an engine is basically an engine.

Comment

Well the idea of a plug and play user friendly ecu it appealing

My current setup is
                    Gt3071 0.63ar
                    440cc injectors
                    044 fuel pump
                    Wagner exhaust mani
                    Wagner reverse intake and intercooler
                    Flowed head
                    Currently stock cams but i am considering 7a cams to help surge and top end on this turbo
                    3inch exhaust
                    Tfsi coils

The workshop i use is familiar with tuning so im not worries with support. Especially if the vems plug and play is very user friendly
                    Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
                    X