Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• current take on upgrading vems firmware

guys

whats the current take on upgrading firmware on the vems with a pnp ecu.

whats the current that people are using successfully. it seems that we still gain/lose with certain firmwares.

i looked at the current 1.2.24 iirc and the spark table is smaller than in 1.2.11 thing one is 12x12. numbers escape me at present.

it still on the original auditrigger code of 1.1.23rc. its still in the ecu with the map 5 years after the crash. back then some of you will remember i was struggling to get an upgrade onto it. not one for backing down on the challenge its nearly time to try again.

ill get her going on the known good map and code i already have but once its a goer i will want to pick up on where i left off. i have no idle valve control on that code and to be fair idle and startup could have been better. idle was getting there when it went smash.

your thoughts and experience much apreciated.

cheers

I first ran vems on 1.1.27,I continually upgraded and ended up at 1.1.96,this was 3 years ago(last time I used the car)....i too would be grateful for the info on the latest firmwares and the pros and cons of them....which is most stable,config tables etc.....i know certain firmwares were unsuitable for the Audi
    I am also running no isv,with ign based idle and I seems fine,cold starting could be better tho

Comment

i run firmware 1.2.11 without problems and like cooperquattro i use ign based idle,realy great,more stable control,and yes,only on cold start a few seconds rough idle but i dont care.
      audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
      TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
      AEM W/M injection

Comment

i run no ignition based idle. mine is controlled via the thottle screw adjustment and with careful map changes. it idled fine, startup for a few seconds i helped with the pedal. its time to move it on a little now though. i was always happy with the cars running. in very cold or very hot no issues. some would not like this and i can undestand why but for me no real issue. geting ego setting correct helped my idle no end.

i plan to go to 1.2.11 i feel. ive started to reconstruct my map into that. im still on 12x12 on 1.1.23.

i have read what marcel and marc at efiexpress have to say on firmware. my issue was my ecu would never take the updates well if at all. also probably my reluctance to leave megatune too.

cetain firmwares in the earlier days added or removed auditrigger. seems to be there in all now.

when i get the clutch in ill update the thread with my woes. hopefully this time itll go to plan. ill have the paperclip ready just in case for a reset. ill see what vemstune thinks of my age old firmware. its not even on the list anymore. tis 5 years since it ran though. a long time really.

Comment

if you go for an other vems firmware,keep in mind that you need to unplug the injectors and coils

http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/ar...?articles_id=6
          audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
          TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
          AEM W/M injection

Comment

I thought it was difficult but it isn't.
            My final step is to do the knock sensors but don't have the time anymore

Comment

what you running now vas?

you know the issues i have had with fw updates in the past as we have discussed many a time.

hows the car going.

what features do you run. ie injector type, isv, boost control, etc and firmware. i know we have a map thread but it would be ideal to list what features are run whether its a pnp ecu and firmware level i think.

Comment

I'm on 1.2.11 . I use isv control, boost control, ev14 injectors on their own data input , EGT and lamda safety features, ls2 coils, heavy duty boost valve and use the top and bottom chamber of the waste gate on a slightly stiffer spring and of course pnp ecu.
                The upgrade of the firmware is dead easy so long as you remove the injector and coil plugs. Then adjust the new tables and check for errors on the feature.
                I have mapped the car with headphones for knock on the dyno and road but haven't gotten round for a further upgrade to use the knock control they have made. There are generic guides for that but as I have read it's quite sensitive I'd like to have the time to do it on the dyno again

Comment

Gazza,when you upgrade there is a significant improvement in the software from earlier versions,the most useful to me was the config sanity check where the software auto detects missing or wrong values

Comment

cooper - im aware of the improvements from my uber early version. what i need to do is finish the new map cvonversion first. im writing it in 1.2.11. just have a few tables to go first and a full check.

what mods have you had done to the ecu vas/cooper /all. mines stock as was shipped like 7 years ago. im thinking specifically for the ev14 and the isv. whats involved? the other ive always used top and bottom on the gate as im eboost controlled. i have a bigger spring here but thats for after i know the motors still good. gotta say im not confident with knock control systems in general. i think ill make a set of cans up though to check that way

i think my biggest issues in the past were map related rather than firmware now to be honest. the reading i have done on the process seems to indicate that to be honest. none of this info was available at the time i was trying to do these changes then as you know, i gave up as i was happy with the tune and fine tuning was still getting me the results

seems theres a lot more confidence on the firmware changes nowadays which is good to hear.

Comment

For ev14 I got them with their flow vs bar and used the simple table for that. Same dial for the Base VE and tuned the table from there. If you don't have them no worry you can use the second method and it will still be fine.
                      For the ISV I had a special resistor done by Marc which from memory it comes with the newer ecus and don't need it but yours will need it to run the isv properly. The the ISV settings are just a matter of config and testing until you get it right for your car. However the PID values now make a sense whereas on 1.1.27 mega tune was a complete guesswork.
                      Finally keep the eboost valve as it's the same I use and it will still be fine. Boost PID is also easy to tune as with every PID setup. Once sorted the boost will be very nicely controlled.

Comment

cheers buddy. think you have popped up on my facebook not sure how it linked you to me as a suggestion?

ill get an isv cable i think. i got the resistors here somewhere though so maybe just solder one in. ill stick with the seimens injectors for now. also ill stick with eboost rather than using vems for control. i like my ebc.

seems 1.2.11 is the firmware in common use on the i5. ill start with known good.

cheers

Guys

Comment

Looks like we have similar spec gazza,I run eboost 2,siemens 630,no ISV,gt35...mine hasn't run for 3 years now,but sooner or later it will be up and alive again,let us know how you get on with the upgrade as I too will be doing the same,cheers

Comment

yes similar. very similar.
                            my spec is

2.2 with scats and skimmed pistons
                            7a cams
                            wagner tubes sc6152e
                            wagner ic, x member and short intake
                            044 with stock rail and seimmens, vems pnp with 1.1.23rc code
                            no isv, boost control
                            eboost2, defi gauges, vems egt/wb02
                            7a flywheel, sre clutch (needs fitting)

running 2 bar boost when it stopped almost 5 years ago. i expect to be running mid july tbh as i have just started a new job and have a holiday end june. i will run it low boost to start with as the downpipe got flattened in the accident and at present a mate is massaging it to a usable shape for me. ill have to have one made then.

i have most of the settings ported to 1.2.11 in vemstune just a few tables to look into. passes check with no issues in vemstune.

Comment

Boost control is like child's play in the newer firmwares and I bet if I give you my settings they will work to 85-90%. Much less tweaking after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X