Strange cut out at 5200 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange cut out at 5200 rpm

Does anyone have ideas on what could cause a consistent engine cut at circa 5200 rpm. It isn't boost/load related as it happens whether I set the boost to 13 or 26 psi.

I am running 034efi on an Aby but can't find anything in the sensing system or software, the issue started ever since I had an overboost issue while trying a stronger Wg spring and blew the plastic end cap off the intercooler. I've now fit a brand new IC and it flies up to circa 5.2k rpm but then just cuts out suddenly.

You need to talk to 034 Motorsports.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      You need to talk to 034 Motorsports.
      Indeed, I've posted on their forum for help with the Ecu side of things.

I was really after any ideas from this forum on the mechanical side that could cause such a phenomenon (plugs, coils, etc) but I've wracked my brain and come up with nothing.

Comment

Just discovered it also happens when I rev it in neutral.

Comment

no boost leaks? have you tested it.

you may have damaged a hose or somthing if the end tank parted

Comment

Originally posted by adam g View Post
            Just discovered it also happens when I rev it in neutral.
            I have to guess that there is a setting in the 034EFI software that you are using that has a fuel (or ignition cut) at 5200 RPM instead of say 7200 like stock.
            RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Does the Rev counter momentarily go to 0rpm ?

Comment

missed the neutral thing.

so it ran fine before the blow of the cooler on the same software?

Comment

Chips issue.

I have had this recently with a set of chips I tried, swapped to another set or the oe and all was fine. Its a problem with the chips. I found out the hard way after swapping most of the hardware.

Comment

Yeah I was going to go down that route of suggesting chips as I had exactly the same thing and it took a long time to diagnose

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, I got it sorted today.

It turned out to be a faulty VR sensor that counts the teeth on my crank wheel. I had ruled it out as the logs showed it was reading the required 59 teeth without wavering. Someone suggested i try changing the air gap anyway. Seeing as this sensor sits right next to the intercooler and would have got a good whack when it exploded it didnt seem a bad idea.

By changing the air gap I could only make the cut out occur earlier (3000 rpm) while still counting 59 teeth strangely, but when I tried a new sensor the problem was resolved.

I thought it worth posting the solution as quite a few aftermarket systems use the 60-2 wheel and VR sensor.

The new custom intercooler has dropped the inlet temps by 20-30 degrees - had a massive smile on my face while enjoying the full rev range today.

Comment

Originally posted by adam g View Post
                        Thank you all for your suggestions, I got it sorted today.

It turned out to be a faulty VR sensor that counts the teeth on my crank wheel. I had ruled it out as the logs showed it was reading the required 59 teeth without wavering. Someone suggested i try changing the air gap anyway. Seeing as this sensor sits right next to the intercooler and would have got a good whack when it exploded it didnt seem a bad idea.

By changing the air gap I could only make the cut out occur earlier (3000 rpm) while still counting 59 teeth strangely, but when I tried a new sensor the problem was resolved.

I thought it worth posting the solution as quite a few aftermarket systems use the 60-2 wheel and VR sensor.

The new custom intercooler has dropped the inlet temps by 20-30 degrees - had a massive smile on my face while enjoying the full rev range today.

Nice one.... took mine out this evening to clear its throat....

Comment

Working...
                        X