EBC Reds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBC Reds?

Anyone got any opinions on the performance of EBC reds? Someone sad that they went through a couple of sets in a year but i cant remember who? Anyhow any info would be appreciated cos iam not massivley impressed at the minute! still kinda hoping there still beddin in but about 400 miles later i doubt it? Once warm up they bit quite well but after that they seem crap? EBC recon on them working to more than 750 degrees but theses seem to fade way before that? Just changed the fluid but no better?

These are RED fronts running on zimmerman x drilled disks with greens on the rear on stock rotors?
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

It is important that you follow the manufacturers bedding in process to prevent the pads glazing. Not sure about reds but I know that there is no point using drilled disks with pads that do not 'gas'. For example, you get better results with Ferodo DS2500 on plain disks than you do with drilled (even better with grooved). Drilling is mainly used for 'de-gassing' and grooved is mainly used for 'de-glazing'. I would never part with money for drilled front disks!!!!!!!!! Have you tried taking the pads out to skim them a little. Worth doing if you inadvertently glazed them during warmup to freshen them up.

Secondly, what fluid are you using? I used Castrol SRF and used twice as much as I needed because I thoroughly flushed the system through. Some fluids to not mix well at all! Did you braid your hoses? Have you got a leak that is preventing full pressure application? Have a quick check.

The standard disk size is akin to that fitted to an OK Corrado at 280mm. There isn't much mass in your disks so you could potentially be reaching temps over those that the pads are good for. Work out the numbers: energy is a function of mass, and velocity sqaured (ie get bigger disks!). Brakes are simply energy converters, turning kinetic energy into heat. Increasing the disk mass reduces their temperature rise which is much better for pads. Are your disks a nice blue colour?

I can even get my brake setup to fade now but it is bloody hard work to achieve (disks were turning blue and melting my pads).

Lee
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Glen,
      I run reds on my front rotors, but on the 322mm Movit/Brembo set up and I am more than happy with them at all temperatures.
      Maybe they are better suited to the bigger brake upgrades (higher clamping forces?), or maybe Lee is right and its all about heat sink

Mark.
      Last edited by Mark Halligan; 11 November 2003, 22:11.
      Mark - Modded

Comment

Same here Mark, i am having no probs on my setup. Bedding in is very important with this type of pad. Try and do it too quickly and they dont like it.
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

mmmm? well iam gonna give em a bit longer yet cos iam lazey! They stop very well for what they are once they warm up but they would cause masses of worry in the hot seat after half a dozen laps of CC iam sure! Iam gonna get them fading the check the temp of the rotor with my laser temp gauge and that sould tell a story?
          Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Just ordered some new pads from demon tweeks,i enquired about green
            stuff and red stuff,the bloke told me with the standard discs to go for the Ferodo racing DS2500 pads. He said he'd tried all the uprated pads and these were best.

Cheers Chris
            Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

chris - youll probably want to read this thread.......

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=&threadid=791

Comment

Cheers mate,just looked at the pads they sent me,look like the wrong ones. I'll be sending them back tomorrow.:mad: Have to see what else is about.
                Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Working...
                X