Brakes upgrade summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes upgrade summary

Just a thought - it might help people (like myself) who are planning to spend on a brake upgrade if those members who have done it to theirs could provide here a summary of the upgrade done, and possibly the approximate cost, and the relative hassle factors in getting the parts?!

It seems that quite a few different set ups have been explored by members here, would be nice to have a definitive view, and possibly highlight other options that haven't been done yet?
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

OK here goes:

Hispec monster 4 calipers @ £215.90 each
    Hispec caliper brakets (pair) @ £99.88
    A8 314mm discs (pair) @ £72.85 each (euro car parts)
    EBC Greenstuff pads @ £42.30
    SS Hoses (4) @ £47

Total - £693.83 inc VAT

All the above use current prices as advertised on the web. I had the discs grooved which costs an extra £40.

Bolts striaght on with AVUS 16" wheel with no probs, need a spacer for the 5 spoke wheels. Have worked faultlessly since fitting.

Hispec are now providing caliper sevices kits and a mega monster caliper :eek2:
    http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/index.htm

Leigh
    Last edited by Dr H; 1 December 2003, 23:30.
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Here is mine:

- RS2 front calipers;
      - RS2 brake pads;
      - RS2 brackets;
      - RS2 hoses;
      - RS2 custom modified disks (5x112 holes drilled);
      - Custom modified 19 mm aluminum spacers to adapt RS2 disks on S2 hub.

Apart from the spacers (~100 euros) I found everything on a crashed car, so price was very low, in the 300 euros range, which made everything worth the assle of modding RS2 disks and spacers.

Marco

P.S. Very happy with this upgrade. Much improved stopping power and expecially almost endless effectiveness (almost zero fading).

Comment

Same as Leigh, using red stuff pads and 8 groove discs. Well pleased with setup, it brakes like F£^K!!!
        Also have SS braided hoses on the front and back, makes a difference to pedal feel. Do that mod!

Only prob is have to use 5mm spacer for wheels, it gives me a bit of wheel shake and tramlines worse.
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

i can back you up on that . very very good brakes

becky did say that they faded a bit when coming down from 150 mph on sunday morning .(joking)
          Last edited by gillm; 1 December 2003, 20:37.
          seat ibiza cupra

Comment

I've only got grooved front discs (I've got an invoice somewhere I'll dig out) but they are better than standard.

The pedal still has that 'balsa wood' feel, but haven't managed to fade the brakes yet (whereas the standard disks seemed to fade with one press when you drove above 120mph).

Tested these at 155mph with a good firm press and no fade whatsoever, though they get really noisy (like a buzzing sound, and vibration through the pedal) cause of the grooves. Standard Audi pads, but hey, seem to last ok, not too much brake dust. If you can't afford a brake conversion, some grooved discs will improve your life expectancy I hope over standard 'nonsense' brakes.

Handy things these private roads.

Not sure what brake upgrade to go for - Porsche Calipers would look very nice under the wheels, and I think the 18s I have on will take some pretty big front discs, but I wonder of the Hi Spec mega monster super duper 6 pot that Leigh provided a link for will give better performance? Also whether they'd inscribe the Audi 4 rings on the calipers, or write 'Porsche' instead...?

Roll on February, then I can start spending some money on brakes, engine, paintwork etc etc etc! (counting the minutes off...) Target for my car is somewhere between 360 and 400hp, with more emphasis on torque than power I hope (most of my driving is done in 6th gear).

PJ
            'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Porsche 996 / A8 conversion

So far:

Calpiers £220 good cond. but with damaged x-over tubes (from e-bay at what I think was a good price)
              Pad fitting kit, crossover tubes , bolts £78
              A8 Disks & RS2 brackets & bolts £xxx - POA from VAG parts
              Goodridge hoses x2 (custom) £46 - although I'll prob be changing these soon
              Ferodo DS2500 Pads £152
              5.1 fluid - £10
              Fitting - £40

- bedding in - but looking gooood!

***Needs machining to give clearance under a 16" AVUS***
              Last edited by Alistair C; 17 December 2003, 18:19.

Comment

:confused:

A8 214mm discs (pair) @ £72.85 each (euro car parts)

Very small disc they are too! I guess you mean 314mm? If not, they are even smaller than your standard S2 rears @ 245mm?

Siena

Comment

Originally posted by Vagsport
                  :confused:

A8 214mm discs (pair) @ £72.85 each (euro car parts)

Very small disc they are too! I guess you mean 314mm? If not, they are even smaller than your standard S2 rears @ 245mm?

Siena
                  D'oh slip of the keyboard. Edited to 314mm now
                  Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

I used Porsche 968 CS calipers with RS2 brackets, RS2 hoses and RS2 mounting bolts with machined A8 discs.

If anyone wants to buy this setup it has been removed from the old car and is available for sale.

Send me a PM if interested
                    Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

And now for the silly one! All prices approx (some estimated) and in UK pounds (I don't have a UK keyboard with pound symbol on my laptop!) My current setup as follows:

6 pot AP calipers (35.5mm thick disk version) 450 each
                      Custom brackets (extreme spec) 100 each
                      Second hand RS4 disks 50
                      Braided flexi hoses 26
                      DS2500 pads 175

In progress and on by the time I go to another trackday:
                      362x35.5 disks 250+ each
                      Custom bells from Ally 2718 (F1 spec for bells) 180 each
                      Fixings for the floating setup (disk to bells) 150ish per axle as they are likely to be all titanium
                      Castrol SRF fluid 35/litre will get 2 litres to fully flush current stuff out thoroughly since it doesn't mix well!

Rears to follow that and will be on before the SRF upgrade (est April/May):
                      AP 4 pots about 300 each
                      Brembo separate handbrake calipers prob 30 each brand new (Brembo)
                      Flexi hoses 13
                      Bells and disks as per front but disks will be 330 diaso about 130 each and all other bits at the same prices. Brackets will be slightly larger to accomodate the twin caliper so figure around 150 each for these

I will buy all of the floating fixings together since they are custom manufactured and I'll get a small production run boshed out so that will be 48 Ti bobbins, 48 Ti fasteners and I'll also needs to buy 48 silver plated kynar nuts. Not cheap but a bit cheaper if they are all mafe at the same time. Obviously, I will get some spares made too.

There won't be anything better this side of the ceramic disks. It turns out that these are not issue free and a few Porsche owners have had their ceramic options replaced for conventional cast iron disks. I think I will have the ultamate braking system on an S2 and I consider it essential to get this sorted before monster power.

I don't want anyone to total all of these individual prices because if I work out the total cost I will cry! I just buy one bit at a time and eventually the kit will come togehter without caning the CC or taking out any loans!!! Using second hand RS4 disks (which were only about 2,000 miles old) allowed me to do the fronts in stages without having to do the floaters straight away.

Am going to duct air to the front disks but I know it will be tricky to get the air to the rlight place because of the front driveshafts. Get it wrong and the disks will warp in no time!!! Nover point the air to one side of the disk! It must be fed to the centre of the bell so that the disks draw the air through the cooling vanes.

Lee (flamesuit on in anticipation of being called a plonker for wanting to creat such an upgrade! I guess this qualifies for the 'Dream mods' post but this one will be a reality eventually!)
                      1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                      Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Lee: I like the costs of the pads

Could you somehow get a better pics of your setup out and on the car. Would be more than apreciate.

Thanks.
                        Vadim.
                        Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

****, i thought mine were good!!!
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Lee,

no need for the virtual flamesuit mate, rock on

Mark.
                            Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeper
                              Lee: I like the costs of the pads

Could you somehow get a better pics of your setup out and on the car. Would be more than apreciate.

Thanks.
                              Vadim.
                              I struggled to get the front DS2500 pads at that price and it involved lots of haggling between companies. I just traded a few companied against each other until I got the best price. Half hour on the phone got them under 200 quid. THe AP six pots only have 4 pad compounds: Greenshits were 60 quid a set and now I know why (they melted)! DS2500 are exceptional and are mega bucks. DS3000 go off like catherine wheels as they dump heat through shedding incandescent material (one set of disks per set of pads...no thanks). And finally, Performance Friction Compound 93: Indy car pad....need I say more!?!?

Am taking a lot of my car apart over Xmas so I will take lots of pics. Forgot to mention that the new disks will not be drilled because DS2500 do not 'gas'. They will be grooved to help deglazing when being thrashed.

PS. Sweeper, I never learn't Latvian but did learn Russian for 6 months. I should get my keyboard overlay so we can talk in Russian as I am out of practice...I suspect you are fluent, Vadim! I did the course becuase we use converted Russian Nuclear ICBMs to launch our spacecraft!!! Been to Kahzakstan on a launch campaign in '99. I really like Eastern Europe!
                              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Working...
                              X