Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake refurb:

hi there,
    i am about to refurb my calipers (996 gt3) - not talking new paint job but complete change of pistons and seals. Options are either send them away (ebc provide such a refurb service) attempt the job myself. Any BTDT on this issue - any advice is much appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    imster

Originally posted by imster
    hi there,
    i am about to refurb my calipers (996 gt3) - not talking new paint job but complete change of pistons and seals. Options are either send them away (ebc provide such a refurb service) attempt the job myself. Any BTDT on this issue - any advice is much appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    imster
    Why you want to do that ? Monobloc calipers usually don't wear so much, and not dramatically affected by corrosion either.

If you are serious about your intentions, then you will need several things to think about:

1. Compressed air source for removing pistons. Handy when you are trying to remove pistons. BTW can be done with ordinary tire air pump .
    2. Set of seals and new pots. Usually there is only dust boots for sale as "seals", check if square profile seals are available. You can change pots also.
    3. Find document how to do that. Can use this as guideline (browse this site for more) http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...er_rebuild.htm

Good luck . I you will do refurbish - please post the results, because I was convinced that if not used for racing - monoblocks should last 10-15 years with no probs if dust seals are ok. As they said "It's brembo, not willwood, you know"

Sau
    200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
    CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Is there anything wrong with the calipers themselves? or are you "just putting them to new again"? If it ain't broke...
      Corey
      01636 822288

Comment

I refurbed my 996 calipers. It was an easy job.

I just stripped the old paint off first. Then I replaced the cross-over pipe with the bleed screws from the other caliper. I then painted them, not worrying about cutting into the original dust seals. I hung the painted calipers in the airing cupboard for about 2 months to allow the paint to cure.

Meanwhile I went to my local Porsche dealer and bought the news seals, anti squeal shims, pad retaining springs and pins.

To get the old pistons out i first removed to old dust seals by just levering them out slowly around the edge, but be cereful not to score the pistons. Then you'll need to blow the pistons out. I used a bicycle hand pump and an L-shaped wooden block. The block is needed to hold the other (3 in this case) pistons in place, while you blow one out. Replace piston seal, piston, then dust seal with new parts, as required. Then move your block around to do the next piston.

I also replaced the crossover pipe with a new one that I made myself. I got some stainless steel bleed screws and some new decals.

The refurb cost me less than £80 in the end.
        But now only the caliper body and the pistons are original.

Here you can see one of the finished calipers. (old bleed screw still in that picture).
        SS

Comment

cheers for the replys gents:

@kwlw: At least one piston seems to be sticking - can hear an intermittent rubbing/ chaffing sound every now and again from the drivers front side - sure this aint good for me pads. The prob was also highlighted when my mechanic sprayed some liquid grease into the piston and the prob dissapeared before re appearing a month or so later.

thanx again
          imster

Comment

See hear for something similar I did to mine

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=996

The caliper's are now residing on Coolhand's S2 in Oz btw
            Corey
            01636 822288

Comment

Working...
            X