• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2 piece is definitely lighter!

But the rotor is what makes it light.

Comment

Originally posted by AndersS2
      but i wonder if i could get me a 2-piece rotor even bigger thats not custom made?

read somewhere that a 2-piece is lighter than a original a8 disc (in this comparison), and lighter means better handling/acceleration. but they do cost some more "£" dont they?
      You will need custom, if you found an off the shelf disc/bell then you would need a custom bracket and vice versa.

The 2 piece design is indeed lighter than the stock A8. They cost more because of the hat/bell being a custom design.
      Corey
      01636 822288

Comment

Originally posted by panzerwagen
        Oh boy is that one for the books! NOT TRUE!!! I HAVE THE SETUP ON MY CAR NOW! The pedal FEELS THE SAME! It's the same as if you had put in new pads on your OEM calipers. Once the pads are broken in you won't even know the difference.
        You are getting alot of info that is in-correct.
        Contact me off Forum! I have pix & info if interested.
        NO offence, maybe something sounds silly when compared to PRACTICAL observations , however hydraulics is still valid on the Earth planet. Seems I have to explain to those who are laughing with Panzerwagen .

First:
        Front 996 monoblock - piston sizes are 40 & 36mm, total piston area (one side) is: 2274.5 mm2
        Rear 996 monoblock - piston sizes are 30 & 28mm, total piston area (one side) is: 1322.6 mm2

Second:
        Braking force generated by the brake is proportional to the piston area as it correlated with pressure force (not 100% true, however we can call it empiric rule). So to generate SAME braking force, in the SAME car, same pads, same disc, but with different piston setup, you need to push pedal 2274.5/1322.6 = 1.72 times harder.

Third and most important:
        With good brake pads, bigger discs, braided lines, and working power brake assist you WILL NOT FEEL IT. That's panzerwagen is saying from his PRACTICAL expierence. Also, one cannot clearly feel is the pedal pushed 12kg or 17kg, you just brake when you need. You know, practice is blind, theory is deaf, it's very good to have both .

That's why (inspired from Billzcat setup and from Panzerwagen impressions) I've started to play with rears on the front. However here (in my country) virtually nobody wants or knows how to make custom hats for me thus disallowing to put cheap and neat Wilwoods on my car.

Sau
        200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
        CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by kwlw
          However here (in my country) virtually nobody wants or knows how to make custom hats for me thus disallowing to put cheap and neat Wilwoods on my car.
          What do you need?
          Corey
          01636 822288

Comment

kwlw, no insult but........

Like I have noted the set-up is on my car. When I was putting together my set-up many here told me I was going to have the same problem you have been talking about. Well they were wrong. The setup does work and it does not entail any of the drawbacks you have noted. First hand experience always proves out over theory. NASA proved that out during our Moon missions.

Comment

Originally posted by panzerwagen
              Like I have noted the set-up is on my car. When I was putting together my set-up many here told me I was going to have the same problem you have been talking about. Well they were wrong. The setup does work and it does not entail any of the drawbacks you have noted. First hand experience always proves out over theory. NASA proved that out during our Moon missions.
              Everything is fine , note that I'm comparing 996 FRONT and 996 REAR setup . Not the stock G60 piece of crap and 996 REARS.

996 rear monoblock have huge rigidness, also they accept much bigger disc, better pads with much higher "bite" than stock. That's no question, that it brakes like you tell us.

Sometimes there are two right sides . Especially when comparing apples to oranges .

Sau

Comment

It's nice to know the setup works on your car panzerwagon, and thanks for the e-mails btw lots of good info.

i will go on to try this this calipper out on my car, and we'll se how it'll work on Nurbergring meet 2006 :mischeif: (if i get it ready)

KWLW: do you know how much bigger discs? i am eger to try out some 2-pice big ones (to fit underneath my 18"s)

And if anyone got som rs2 or similar brackets lying around, please PM me.

cheers,
                Anders K.
                Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AndersS2
                  KWLW: do you know how much bigger discs? i am eger to try out some 2-pice big ones (to fit underneath my 18"s)
                  If I understand correctly - these calipers are designed to accept 320x28 sized brake disc, that's a lot bigger than stock S2 .

I would go standard A8 route in your place - put 323x30 A8 rotors and RS2 brackets. Cheap and effective (will require some play with the limiting pins and brake pads).

If you will go with custom discs (lightweight hats, directionally vented rings), I think maximum you can put on these calipers is something about 330mm.

I'm using 310x28 disc for my project, but this is not S2, and it's lighter.

Sau

Comment

Working...
                  X