Help... 3b Front Brakes Binding On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... 3b Front Brakes Binding On

Whilst driving home from work my front brakes started binding on ,so badly that you could smell burning and it took a bottle of water to cool them enough to drive two roads to get home.
    I have since changed the bomb for one I bought from ebay and replaced the inner and outer front brake flexibles because they seemed to have a slight restriction when blowing through them, i stripped the calippers and they seemed fine no corrosion or sticking when i tried them with the seals out.
    All four wheels lock and free off when on stands in the garage but out on the road the fronts over heat in less than a mile,has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas what to check next.

Thanks... acp

Wheel bearings?
    Fit some Porsche brakes :mischeif:
    Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
    England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by acp
      Whilst driving home from work my front brakes started binding on ,so badly that you could smell burning and it took a bottle of water to cool them enough to drive two roads to get home.
      I have since changed the bomb for one I bought from ebay and replaced the inner and outer front brake flexibles because they seemed to have a slight restriction when blowing through them, i stripped the calippers and they seemed fine no corrosion or sticking when i tried them with the seals out.
      All four wheels lock and free off when on stands in the garage but out on the road the fronts over heat in less than a mile,has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas what to check next.

Thanks... acp
      Seals have gone in the hydraulic brake servo. The effect causes the car to apply it's own brakes as it drives along due to pressure build up from the pump/bomb
      Corey
      01636 822288

Comment

BRY, you're like the ******* friend that always seems to get with the girl at the bar that you were chasing 5 minds before

Was just gonna say, sounds like they need replacing with a set of 996's. Probably won't work out much more than replacing the stock setup anyway.
        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Waste of time till he finds the route cause of the "braking issue", get it working right first then upgrade.
          But yes you will need the monoblock upgrade once it's fixed.
          Corey
          01636 822288

Comment

Cheers lads

I'll check the wheel bearings tomorrow and the hydraulic servo seals sounds interesting although i don't understand why it would just affect the fronts and leave the backs cold.

Comment

Originally posted by acp
              Cheers lads

I'll check the wheel bearings tomorrow and the hydraulic servo seals sounds interesting although i don't understand why it would just affect the fronts and leave the backs cold.
              Brake bias, if the fronts are just touching and being applied then it would only affect the front.
              Corey
              01636 822288

Comment

Check it thoroughly and remember that not even Porsche calipers will cure a servo or master cylinder problem.

Paul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Corey
                  Seals have gone in the hydraulic brake servo. The effect causes the car to apply it's own brakes as it drives along due to pressure build up from the pump/bomb
                  Corey,

Can you post a schematic of the servo?

Is this a big job?

I reckon my brakes are binding at the moment as well. I can drive up the road without using the brakes at all but the discs get super hot doing so....

When I park the car after a trip and apply the handbrake - which because my drive is on a slope I do whilst I have my foot on the brake pedal - when I get back to it in the morning, the pads have welded themselves to the discs.

You can release the handbrake and the car will go nowhere because the front pads are welded to the discs.

Alternatively, I can leave the car in gear and not apply the handbrake but the same thing happens.

Your analysis of acp's problem would suggest my servo seals might have gone as well?

I still have that rattle after a major application of the brakes....
                  00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
                  08 RRS TDV6 HSE
                  03 Kawasaki B2 ZX12R 1287cc

Comment

The servo is not something I would recommend the home mechanic (no offence intended) to strip down (the servo not the home mechanic).

You can test it to see if the seals have gone.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL WHILE DOING THIS TEST AND I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF ANYONE IS DAFT ENOUGH TO TRY IT.

Engine off and remove the return line at the servo, start the engine anything more than a few drips and your servo is dead.
                    Corey
                    01636 822288

Comment

Working...
                    X