porsche fornts fitted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• porsche fornts fitted!

Thanx to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I fitted my 996 calipers, A8 discs & RS2 brackets today (about an hour a side) All fitted on as if they had been made for the car!
    There IS tight clearance between the disc faces & the pad rest pins, also the inside of the caliper & the disc edge. (about 1.5mm) Has anyone had these contact when the disc gets hot? I'd prefer NOT to resort to spacer washers & grinders if possible!

BTW, Allan at VAG parts tells me that if the porsche calipers are black in colour, then they are NOT genuine Porsche calipers! Anyone heard this before? I thought the colour was determined by a part number!

anyone want a pair of standard G60's (in need of a repair kit) or a pair of cross drilled Zimmermans? yours for postage!

Cheers,
    Simon

The 996 caliper is designed for a 28mm width disc, you are using a 30mm disc, you need to machine/file/bludgeon 1mm off each pin to gain adequate clearance.
    Corey
    01636 822288

Comment

Originally posted by missmouse
      BTW, Allan at VAG parts tells me that if the porsche calipers are black in colour, then they are NOT genuine Porsche calipers! Anyone heard this before? I thought the colour was determined by a part number!
      lol, the 996 Carrera caliper comes in a variety of colours, black being the most popular, with red, silver and yellow being other options available or have them repainted to match your favourite handbag if you so wished.
      Corey
      01636 822288

Comment

Thanx for that Corey, does that also mean that NEW pads will be a problem to fit? (ive got good second hand ones in that came with the calipers)

Cheers,
        Simon

Comment

LOL Alan told me about his theory on the vast quantity of black porsche caliper 'copies' flooding the market at the moment when i ordered the hardlines and bolts for my kit. I didnt have the heart to tell him i was looking out the window at a 2 year old 996 in the yard outside my mates workshop with the very same black 'counterfeit' calipers fitted. the owner works in the engineering firm opposite and over tea break nearly passed an entire jammy dodger through his nose when i shared this rather rash theory

The calipers i used as far as i know come in black and silver on the 996 and red on the boxter S and i have it on good authority that they are indeed oem

28 years experience in parts eh
          Ragusa Coupe gone!
          sigpic
          VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
          VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
          vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

BTW, Allan at VAG parts tells me that if the porsche calipers are black in colour, then they are NOT genuine Porsche calipers!
            Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
            S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

BTW, Allan at VAG parts tells me that if the porsche calipers are black in colour, then they are NOT genuine Porsche calipers! :scratch

I feel an urban myth coming on

Apparently i also heard recently that if you swallow an apple pip the tree grows from your bum
              Ragusa Coupe gone!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by groofosp
                I feel an urban myth coming on

Apparently i also heard recently that if you swallow an apple pip the tree grows from your bum
                I've found my new signature quote
                2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Maybe he is pissed at us NOT buying the calipers from him!

Comment

Thanx for that Corey, does that also mean that NEW pads will be a problem to fit? (ive got good second hand ones in that came with the calipers)

Cheers,
                    Simon
                    New pads fit easily without any probs
                    Oh, and if you don't fancy filing off 1mm from each pin on a pair of £300 callipers, you can carefully push each pin the needed 1mm/1.5mm towards the outside edge of the calliper to gain your clearance.
                    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Hey guys so you using the monoblock 4 piston calipper from the 996 with the audi A8 discs? I assume these callipers with rs2 spacers would fit to a vw, but will the a8 discs fit 4x100 bolt pattern?

Also I have seen some RS6 callipers, 8 pistons, but i think theres no way usign them withouth some 18s on.

Comment

A8 has 5 bolt pattern same as s2 so you would have to get the discs welded up & redrilled!

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n
                          New pads fit easily without any probs
                          Oh, and if you don't fancy filing off 1mm from each pin on a pair of £300 callipers, you can carefully push each pin the needed 1mm/1.5mm towards the outside edge of the calliper to gain your clearance.
                          Isnt the pin retained with a roll pin? a file want touch it anyway as its hardened!

Comment

Isnt the pin retained with a roll pin? a file want touch it anyway as its hardened!

I used an air finger file like a mini belt sander, did the job a treat. Looked at pushing the pin through and the retaining roll pin was going nowhere. Like Bry said you are likely to muller the soft caliper body before you drill out the harder roll pin.
                            Ragusa Coupe gone!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by groofosp
                              I used an air finger file like a mini belt sander, did the job a treat. Looked at pushing the pin through and the retaining roll pin was going nowhere. Like Bry said you are likely to muller the soft caliper body before you drill out the harder roll pin.
                              Drill out the pin WTF? Suprised at Bry on that one..
                              No need to go anywhere near the roll pin chaps. Just carefully push the hardened pad seat pin out a tad. I used a small G-clamp and a small block of wood on the outer face of the calliper. The roll pin doesn't sit in a groove or anything, it's just a tight fit against the side of the hardened pin.
                              I've been running these callipers for 12 months like this, and so has my bro. Pin is exactly in the same place I left it, before someone comes along and tells me it'll drop out
                              But what do I know! I just used another way of doing it, file away to your hearts content
                              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Working...
                              X