...a general wondering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...a general wondering...

For the people who have big brake conversions (ie, standard 16's dont fit over then), what do you do if you have a puncture (and don't have run on flat tyres)? There'd be no point in keeping the 16inch spare and a bigger and wider wheel would almost engulf the whole of your boot! Are there any space saver-style 17inch wheels about?

_phil
    ...ever since I floored you I knew that I loved you!

Take one off the back and put the spare on the back as long as the rolling radi are the same
    Corey
    01636 822288

Comment

I have a can of punctureseal in the boot in case of emergency, and the spare wheel is in the cellar collecting dust. I've filled the space in the boot with spare bottles of water, antifreeze, oil, brake fluid and there's also a sub-woofer in there!

I also have good RAC Get Me Home cover!
      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

buy biggger brakes that still fit under the standard 16 inch wheels there still big .;..

Comment

just removed my original s2 wheel today and chucked in a can of sealant its that or the breakdown cover
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Corey
            Take one off the back and put the spare on the back as long as the rolling radi are the same
            Good thinking batman! Im sure no1 has rear brakes that don't fit under 16inch rims!
            ...ever since I floored you I knew that I loved you!

Comment

Originally posted by S2 PTH
              Good thinking batman! Im sure no1 has rear brakes that don't fit under 16inch rims!
              Will have very soon
              Corey
              01636 822288

Comment

Originally posted by S2 PTH
                For the people who have big brake conversions (ie, standard 16's dont fit over then), what do you do if you have a puncture (and don't have run on flat tyres)? There'd be no point in keeping the 16inch spare and a bigger and wider wheel would almost engulf the whole of your boot! Are there any space saver-style 17inch wheels about?

_phil
                I assume that you mean under 3B wheels, as loads of us are running Monoblocks under standard 16" Avus wheels.

Cheers n

Si
                95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Yeah the original 3B alloys won't fit over a 4-pot caliper, even though a 16" alloy will have enough diameter to fit over a bigger disc - the design is all wrong, been there, done that, bought the tyre sealant!

Comment

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but Stu (4wheeldrifter) told me that the RAC (or AA, can't remember which) wouldn't tow him home when he had a puncture because he didn't have a spare wheel.

I've got a can of tyre foam in the boot and was ready to sling the spare (doesn't look like it would last more than a few miles anyway) but when I heard this I thought twice. Anyone else know any different?

I've got full AA cover and would be livid if they used that as a reason not to tow me.

Comment

If I need to I am planning to tell them that my spare is being repaired and I have been really unlucky with two punctures in a week....

Cheers,

Steve
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

You could just call your recovery service and find out what their policy is with regards to carrying spares.

The big ones might not be too helpful, but I've found smaller companies tend to be more flexible.
                        acidtrax

Comment

Originally posted by Dpicariello
                          I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but Stu (4wheeldrifter) told me that the RAC (or AA, can't remember which) wouldn't tow him home when he had a puncture because he didn't have a spare wheel.

I've got a can of tyre foam in the boot and was ready to sling the spare (doesn't look like it would last more than a few miles anyway) but when I heard this I thought twice. Anyone else know any different?

I've got full AA cover and would be livid if they used that as a reason not to tow me.
                          The AA mate, it's the reason i'll never join them again.

If your car came equiped with a spare by standard and you remove it , they wont do anything for you. ****ers

Learnt the hard way when i was a passenger in my mates car and it had a puncture

Comment

The RAC will tow you to the nearest tyre centre (up to 10 miles away) if you don't carry a spare. They carry a couple of space saver wheels in the vans though which they will use if they fit.

I found this out when I destroyed a tyre in the middle of Wales. After driving two miles to find a main road on a dead tyre I called them and they duly sent out a patrol. While I was waiting I used Yell.com on my phone, found a local tyre place and managed to swing a part worn 225/45ZR17 tyre for £15. The RAC man took me and the wheel up to the tyre place to get the tyre swapped and refitted it, no questions asked.

The service from the RAC has been excellent on the occasions when I've needed them. When I needed the S2 recovering they sent a flat bed truck as requested without any hassle (they didn't even send a patrol van first as I told them not to) and when one of my previous cars was hit from behind at 60 mph they sent a truck to collect it and had a courtesy car and solicitor sorted before I was even home. Well worth £85 a year IMHO.

BTW tyre sealant is no use if you get a big hole or tear the sidewall. There was no way it would fix this:

Ben
                            the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                            1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

The RAC took me back home on a flatbed when I ripped a sidewall (so again yes punctureseal wouldn't fix that), no questions asked.

Comment

Working...
                              X