993 caliper and A8 disks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 993 caliper and A8 disks?

I picked up a pair of Audi A8 314mm x 30mm Zimmerman disks from GSF. They were £28.50 + vat a Pair!

I have an O/S Porsche hub, 304mm x 32mm disk and caliper I bought from a scrapyard for £25. It seems to be from a 993. The caliper is black and the first part numbers on the brake pad say 993.xxx etc.

If I get a N/S 993 caliper can I use the RS2 front brackets? I have tried the caliper on the disk. From the centre of the Audi lug mounts to the back of the Porsche Radial mount it seems to be about 37MM.

I'm trying to keep costs down as I have already had to buy a set of S2 5 stud hubs as I have a Coupe Quattro 20V ( 4 stud). This along with a set of new bearings will add £250 to the cost of the conversion. Along with new wheels and tyres!

Maybe a set of A8 calipers could be used?

The conversion needs to fit under 16" avus wheels which are from an old shape S4.

Any comments would be appreciated.

check thru the brake section of the forum. Especially in the 996 brake conversion since this is turning into a popular conversion now.

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Basically I suppose I should have asked the question does the 993 and the 996 caliper have the same dimensions?

I don't know the size of the 996 disk. If it is 304mm x 32mm then It is possible that it would be the same.

Comment

unless you can get the bits and try it out, its quite difficult to say what will and what won't fit

FWIW, the 996 calipers I've used were designed for disks 318mm x 28mm
        However there are quite a few vairents for the 996 and a few for 993s too.

If you are looking to find a matching caliper, a good place to try would be www.design911.co.uk or www.douglasvalley.co.uk .

Post the full p/n and you might get someone who knows them well!

Comment

Thanks Alistair,

I had forgotten about them.

I will contact Douglas Valley Breakers who are about 25 miles away. I can look at the caliper before purchase. I don't fancy getting something dodgy in the post.

I will check on the differences between calipers and post a response.

Comment

Just fitted 993 calipers and A8 rotors to my ABY.The rotors were originally 322 x 30.I had the diameter machined to 307mm to fit the particular 993 calipers I had and used AMD apaptor brackets for mounting.Braking is now awesome!
            Attached Files

Comment

Rex,

Looks very nice mate, and subtle too, with the calipers in silver .

Mark.
              Mark - Modded

Comment

nice job there with the silver calipers..... interesting that you had to take the disks down the same amount as I did when fitting my 996 calipers.....

anyway, in case it helps, here are the front caliper varients on a 993
                link

Comment

Guys,

This may have been answered elsewhere but using the RS2 bracket, by getting the 993 or 996 caliper, what are the disc size options available to me which require no resizing as they will be behind at least a 17inch wheel?

Cheers,

David

P.S. what are the main differences between the 993 and 996 calipers?
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

That's the question which started this thread

The 996 caliper fits I think it has a 323mm x 32mm disk

The 993 carrera uses a 304 x 32mm disk.

they are both radial mount. they can't both fit without the radial mount face to Internal cut out being deeper on the 993. I saw on another forum Alistair C having his 996 caliper flange machined. This means that he had to drop the disk radius by 3.5mm ended up with 307MM disk.

I am trying to find out what the difference is.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                      The 996 caliper fits I think it has a 323mm x 32mm disk
                      Nope.
                      The 996 caliper is designed for a 28mm thick disk.
                      However - you can *just* get a 30mm disk in there with about 0.5mm spare (so it definately still spins freely when mounted).

For this conversion, the 314mm Euro A8 disk is perfect. (almost - pads overhang by 1mm)

Therefore if you want to use the 323 A8 disks, you'd need to space the calipers out 4.5mm (323mm is 9mm bigger radius than 314mm).
                      Since the pads already overhang, you could get away with spacing them out by just 3.5mm

I have no idea about 993 calipers!

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair C

Therefore if you want to use the 323 A8 disks, you'd need to space the calipers out 4.5mm (323mm is 9mm bigger radius than 314mm).
                        Since the pads already overhang, you could get away with spacing them out by just 3.5mm

I have no idea about 993 calipers!

HTH
                        this is the route im taking, didnt fancy using any spacers with rs2 brackets, so am making my own brackets, i have everything else ready to bolt on.

Comment

Working...
                        X