Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pads question

Hi,

Need to change my pads and discs and wondering what to go for. On the basis of wear i am happy to get another set of zimmerman cross drilled jobbies from G&S.

Pad wise - greenstuff, redstuff, pagid RS 4-2-1black (med friction sport compund) or RS-4-2 Blue (race compound)

Any views or BTDT on the above welcome.

Cheers,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Before upgrading to RS2 front disks and calipers, I used to have Pagid blue pads. In comparison with original ones bite was excellent (initial braking power doesn't seem dissimilar to RS2 front system). Only problem is fading with original disks (dunno with zimmermans). After few "aggressive" brakinigs disks become red hot and braking distances started raise dramatically :eek2: !!!

Marco

Comment

I use the zimmerman X-drilled and vented discs and Pagid Fast road pads, they seem good to me, havent suffered from any significant brake fade...... yet.

Altho to be honest, if upgrading power, a brake upgrade should always be considered cos its all well and good going faster but at some point or another your gonna need to stop just as quick!!!
      Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
      2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

David,
        I'm using EBC reds on the front and greens on the back,and although the reds do need a little warming (one or two pedal depressions does it), I am well happy with them.
        My brakes are'nt standard though, 322mm front and 280mm rear but I doubt that matters with regards to overall impressions on pad performance.

Mark.
        Mark - Modded

Comment

Normally race compounds are not suitable for road use as they don't warm up sufficiently. I personally find EBC Greenstuff overrated - they cracked up badly when pushed. Ideally a pad with a central groove is best to aid cooling if using the G60 calipers.
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Grooves...

Mike - i guess that can be achieved with any pad and a dremel right. Groove is dead centre so its in between both pistons i'd guess?

Cheers,

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

never had a problem with greenstuff. Previous owner got through a set in just over a year so can't have been light footed. Stop the car pretty well but I've not actually tried anything else on the S2 yet!

subaru owners hate them. just look on scoobynet.co.uk.

Comment

The pad normally arrives with the groove but if you want to add a DIY one to pads which don't, that is the best place between the pistons
                Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

After a discussion with Demon Tweeks I decided to go with Ferodo DS2500 which are standard pads in AP racing kits. Apparently much better from cold, better feel, pretty much zero fade and kind to discs.

£117.50 with vat and carriage - expensive but much cheaper than a caliper and disc upgreade which i can't do at the moment.

Lets see how they perform, will keep you posted.

Cheers,

David
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

David,

I use the DS2500 on my APs - they are only £80 for mine from Graham Goode Racing. I have to say they are a lot better than the Mintex M1144 I had on - AP told me to take them off ASAP!
                    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Damn......£80 would have been mucho better, do u have a contact number for these guys.

I guess that your pad price might be cheaper as they are for AP kits as opposed to the G60 caliper i have.

Cheers,

David
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

http://www.grahamgoode.com/

Tel: +44 (0)116 2440080

I think the pads are more of a generic pad - that's why it's easy to pick the wrong pad(Mintex) for the car.

HTH
                        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Cheers Doug!
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                          X