retrofit abs, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retrofit abs, worth it?

ok so i have a b2 quattro saloon and looking at retrofitting abs from a b3 coupe quattro, i have a donor car.

seen lots of people bypassing abs or having faults is it worth the hassle or stay away from it?

if so what would i need from the donor and has anyone done it before?(links please)

cheers

if you enjoy it, it is worth it

you need at least the ABS control unit, sensors & brackets to mount them and axels/hubs with the ABS "teeth"

Comment

ABS from UrS6 with EDL may be worth retrofitting. B3 3-chanell ABS is definitely not.

Comment

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post
        ABS from UrS6 with EDL may be worth retrofitting. B3 3-chanell ABS is definitely not.
        can you explain a bit more?

Comment

I have never enjoyed stock 3-channel ABS I used to have on my Coupe typ89 quattro. In winter conditions especially: I would say it is dangerous in snow. So I don't see any point in investing time in retrofitting it into a car without ABS.
          UrS6 ABS has separate lines to rear wheels, it is more modern and safe and its Electronic Differential Lock functionality is a good option. Nevertheless, this ABS is still a loose coupled system and not integrated with engine that tight as later-age audi ABS+safety systems.
          Long story short, I believe, If one has time and enthusiasm to retrofit an ABS, UrS6 one is a good combo of profit and simplicity.

Comment

thanks. I second that the B4 system (assuming it's the same as the B3 system) leads to almost complete loss of braking on fresh snow, experienced it myself with my 80 2.8 (lucky enough it had a ABS-off switch)

Comment

ah i see, glad i asked, so probably best to leave it off and not go out in the snow in it lol,
              does the urs6 abs have the teeth on the cv or on a wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by boomsly View Post
                does the urs6 abs have the teeth on the cv or on a wheel?
                Teethed ring on CVs. The rings may differ from ones for Typ85 B2 Quattro in terms of teeth amount. Don't know whether it's an issue or not.

I know some people installed UrS6 ABS+EDS into S2 coupe (typ89) and it worked.

Comment

I have retrofitted B5Q ABS on my B3Q, works great. Needs little more tweaking to get the EDL working, but ABS works very well.

If someone need B3Q wiring and system, I have one set. Plug and wires for rear diff lock are also in this wiring loom.
                  1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                  1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
                    can you explain a bit more?
                    http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.p...2240&start=800

More info here ^. I am doing this to my eS2 project.
                    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Originally posted by M2ki View Post
                      I have retrofitted B5Q ABS on my B3Q, works great. Needs little more tweaking to get the EDL working, but ABS works very well.

If someone need B3Q wiring and system, I have one set. Plug and wires for rear diff lock are also in this wiring loom.
                      Why did you choose the b5 system and what did you take from it? Did you also change the abs teeth on the fronts

Comment

Another reason to love / appreciate UrS6 cars.......

Back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by boomsly View Post
                          Why did you choose the b5 system and what did you take from it? Did you also change the abs teeth on the fronts
                          Newer B5/C5 system don't have separate ecu, it is all integrated into the ABS pump. Very simple wiring. ABS sensors and teeth are B3 original.
                          To get EDL working, it needs standing time signal to calculate brake overheating. Need to look into that, probably gonna use arduino and copy the time signal from B5 cluster.

ABS system stripped from B5

Integrated with B3 diff lock wiring

1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                          1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                            Another reason to love / appreciate UrS6 cars.......
                            Old front wheel drive Audi 80 B4 and Audi Cabriolet could have ABS+EDL too. But no one questions UrS6 being a great car.

Comment

Originally posted by M2ki View Post
                              Newer B5/C5 system don't have separate ecu, it is all integrated into the ABS pump. Very simple wiring.
                              No loom to ECU under the back seat: that makes me think of it seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X