handbrake mechanism stuck AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handbrake mechanism stuck AGAIN

I've been fairly pleased with around 6 or 7 years service out of the last set of re manufactured calipers i fitted to my Cq but, one side handbrake is totally inoperative now and its getting hard to pull the other on well enough to hold the car.

It is the age old problem of rusting in the pivot where the handbrake lever rotates in the casting. rust, water, old grease, grit or whatever means that my up-rated return spring can no longer return it.

what are people doing to protect this area from the inevitable?

I had thought about a stiff waterproof grease that was safe on rubber and smear it in the gap around the seal but, i cant help thinking that this would be brilliant at keeping hold of grit and that finding its way to where it should be.

Ive got another set of calipers on the way but am looking to deal with the problem before i fit them

cheers!

Last edited by steve briance; 18 November 2019, 07:42.

Maybe using a spray wax would help?

Comment

Maybe regular use of AFC-50 anti-corrosion. I only discovered this product the past year; but many people are raving over it.
      //-\\ ((_)) //)) //

Comment

Drill out the handbrake lever and add a grease nipple. Replace the seal with a Viton dual lip seal. Grease regularly

https://www.s2forum.com/filedata/fet...6&d=1506800313
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Does anyone know if you can get those parts separately?

Comment

Cheers all!

Acf50 did actually revive the lever for a short while when I noticed it sticking - it penetrates gaps really well and I'm guessing it added lubrication. The writing was on the wall though by that point ​​​​​​

Adding lubrication did help, it does make me think Alex's grease nipple is the proper way of solving it. What else? i reckon this could be a reasonable volume item for anyone wanting to supply them but, adding a nipple to an already rusted part is no good, as above; can they be purchased?
            Last edited by steve briance; 18 November 2019, 07:43.

Comment

This is going to be the next evolution after the grease nipples, machined and laser cut from 316 stainless! Just got to get on the lathe to add the grease nipple drilling and then I can TIG them together

1.jpg
              sigpic
              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

This is exactly what the calipers need. Sign me up!

Comment

Working...
                X