Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slotted brake disk direction of rotation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slotted brake disk direction of rotation.

Hello to all on the S2 Forum,

I'm having a very (seriously) heated discussion with a friend regarding the correct rotation of slotted/grooved brake disks and I've entered into a bet on it so please help me!
    I believe that the slot/groove on a brake disk should start from the inside of the disk and work outwards, past the outer edge of the disk. This helps wiping the disk of particulates and hot gasses whilst under hard braking and uses centrifugal action to assist. As far as I'm concerned its the same when assembling the plates in an LSD: If you put them on backwards they can't wipe the oil free off the plates, and it won't work as well.
    This is doing my nut in, and after helping my friend fit some tasty A.P. disks and calipers to his rally car it has almost come to blows, as I disagree with A.P's instructions.
    Please help me S2 Forum, you're my only help....

Originally posted by 5cylinderman View Post

I'm having a very (seriously) heated discussion with a friend regarding the correct rotation of slotted/grooved brake disks and I've entered into a bet on it so please help me!
    I believe that the slot/groove on a brake disk should start from the inside of the disk and work outwards, past the outer edge of the disk. This helps wiping the disk of particulates and hot gasses whilst under hard braking and uses centrifugal action to assist. As far as I'm concerned its the same when assembling the plates in an LSD: If you put them on backwards they can't wipe the oil free off the plates, and it won't work as well.
    This is doing my nut in, and after helping my friend fit some tasty A.P. disks and calipers to his rally car it has almost come to blows, as I disagree with A.P's instructions.

Are the vanes straight? If yes then it shouldn’t matter. If vanes are curved then they need to be on the correct side.

Comment

AP Racing (link) themselves say this:
      Most AP Racing Brake Discs feature Curved Vanes. The brake discs are handed and should be installed with the cooling vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation as indicated in the sketch.
      AP Racing Disk Orientation.jpg

Others with straight internal vanes do make reference to the slot direction, e.g. EBC (link):

rotor-direction-gd.jpg
      Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

Originally posted by 5cylinderman View Post

So, were you right???

Comment

The direction of the cooling vanes is the only thing which is relevant. Funnily enough, AP do know their stuff
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
          X