Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Brake discs with 'Small Reds' on an s2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Brake discs with 'Small Reds' on an s2?

Looking for some advice on what discs I can fit into my B4 Audi S2 (5x112) which I recently purchased RS2 small reds + rs2 caliper brackets.

Want to avoid any custom brackets.

Do a search for A8 disks and you will find options on previous threads, had the same setup a long time ago and only needed a small washer on each caliper bracket to centre the caliper on the disk.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

It's all here. I'm running A8 discs with 993 calipers and AK RS2 brackets set. I had to turn down the discs slightly.
      http://www.s2central.com/main_frame.html
      Last edited by Tractor Dave; 31 December 2022, 10:09. Reason: Add info
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
        Do a search for A8 disks and you will find options on previous threads, had the same setup a long time ago and only needed a small washer on each caliper bracket to centre the caliper on the disk.
        Thanks, do you recall if you ran 312mm or 323mm front discs?

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
          It's all here. I'm running A8 discs with 993 calipers and AK RS2 brackets set. I had to turn down the discs slightly.
          http://www.s2central.com/main_frame.html
          Great in theory but unfortunately it only mentions getting custom-made 304x32mm front disc made.

Surely someone has gone this route and knows of an off-the-shelf disc that is plug-and-play?

Again appreciate help from the wider forum community.

Comment

Early A8 2.8 front discs, 314mm are "plug and play". No machining needed. The pad material will overlap the outer edge slightly but that's of no consequence. My small reds came off a Boxster S front.

The A8 discs are thicker than the Boxster disc so the pins in the Brembo callipers may need grinding down slightly to avoid contacting the disc. You may have to run without the calliper piston damper pads or machine the pads down to get them to fit.

Once you've used them for a while you'll be able to fit the damper pads which you'll be desperate to do because the howl without them will be driving you mad

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
              Early A8 2.8 front discs, 314mm are "plug and play". No machining needed. The pad material will overlap the outer edge slightly but that's of no consequence. My small reds came off a Boxster S front.

The A8 discs are thicker than the Boxster disc so the pins in the Brembo callipers may need grinding down slightly to avoid contacting the disc. You may have to run without the calliper piston damper pads or machine the pads down to get them to fit.

Once you've used them for a while you'll be able to fit the damper pads which you'll be desperate to do because the howl without them will be driving you mad
              Thanks but yikes!

So basically there is no simple plug and play option?

- Caliper pin grinding
              - Remove caliper piston damper pads
              - Pads overlapping

All of the above doesnt sound ideal in the least

Comment

Oh, and I didn't mention that you've got options on how you run the brake lines to the new callipers. It may not be ideal but going back it was a pretty popular option that many folks did not least because it was the best option to improve the woeful standard front brakes and kept in line with the Porsche RS2 fitment.

Everyone has their own view on exactly how much work is or isn't a "plug and play" option and folks on here can be pretty adventurous but if it's all too much for you then you can always just keep to your standard brakes. Joey's are mighty fine hunks of meat if you run into one..

Comment

Im told the 323x30mm rotor means no overlap?

Here is a pic of the calipers I have to make sense of what may or may not fit:

Attached Files

Comment

That's probably true but then they won't fit inside standard 16 inch rims. If you have or are prepared to fit 17 inch rims then they'll fit.

Comment

That's probably true but then they won't fit inside standard 16 inch rims. If you have or are prepared to fit 17 inch rims then they'll fit.
                      I have B6 Avus 18's currently mounted to the car.

Are you saying the 323x30mm would fit in that case?

Comment

I could be wrong but are small reds not a 304mm disc and big reds 323mm if the disc was the only difference wouldn’t everyone use the bigger disc and have big reds up front. If you have the smaller calliper it won’t fit the bigger disc so that automatically limits how big of a disc you can use

Comment

I really hope you’re wrong Riche as I just ordered 323mm discs.

Can anyone 100% confirm?

Comment

You’ll know very quick when you try to fit them if they’re big reds they will take the 322mm disc if not you’ll hand to get them machined down to what ever size will fit the calliper. Not an expensive job anyway.

Comment

323x30 A8 discs work fine. Looks like you have 993 calipers though? That's what I'm using.
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                              X