Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S2 brake upgrade dilemma - B5 HP2 or B6 S4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 brake upgrade dilemma - B5 HP2 or B6 S4?

Folks, i've just spent the last few hours scrolling through the first 100 pages of this brake sub-section, but still haven't got a an answer to my queries

I have a 94 v6 manual quattro avant with the s2 hubs. Currently s2 Girling up front with the 276x25 disc, standard v6 rear calliper with a 5x112 disc (210mm from memory?)

Years ago i got a set of callipers, 320x30mm discs/pads off a B5 S4 from a good friend who did a 17z upgrade. However these obviously don't bolt straight on to the s2 hub and require a bracket similar to the ones required for Porsche brakes. My searching on the forum suggests nobody likes the B5 S4 HP2 callipers, any topics asking for what brakcets to use etc dont have any responses. the set appear to be in great working order with lots of life in the pads etc. Bonus is i only paid £100 for them!

My searching reveals the B6 S4 rear setup will bolt straight on and give me a whopping 300mm disc on the rear Perfect for filling my 18" B6 S4 Avus wheels!

I have found a S4 breaker on Ebay with a full set of B6 S4 brakes for circa £450, and from looking at the pictures the B6 front callipers bolt onto the hub in the same way as the S2 girlings do? These would be a 345x30mm disc and fill the 18s just lovely

So my question is, do i bother trying to get a bracket made for the B5 HP2, or do I sell those (and the S2 girling) and buy the B6 setup?
    Time waits for no man. Unless that man is Chuck Norris.

There was a lad selling adaptors to run s4 brakes on normal b5 hubs, so really they should allow the fitting of s4 brakes onto s2.. No idea who it was though ?

Comment

I guess if you end up running adaptors why not go with the tried and tested mono blocks? I appreciate you have the bits ready to go but without suitable adaptors it's a bit academic. For info I run B7 rears at 300mm and vented, which are champion...

Comment

I've 100% seen a B5 S4 HP2 front brake caliper bracket adaptor for B4 80/S2... I can't remember the name of it and I've tried for hours and hours to find the page again but no success

Comment

I think i'm pretty much trying to talk myself into buying the B6 S4 full setup. B5 HP2 is going to be too much hassle to still have a small disc up front.

So I'll just apply some man maths, sell the b5 front setup, buy the B6 and sell on my S2 Girlings when i fit the bigger setup.

Theres somone on here selling HEL braided lines for S2, i assume they'd be a straight fit for the B6 S4 calipers?

Next issue is going to be doing away with the brake bomb and fitting a full vacuum setup. But i do have the tdi parts car for those bits, just picking a suitable brake booster for the job! The butterfly effect of wanting to fill a wheel
          Time waits for no man. Unless that man is Chuck Norris.

Comment

Working...
          X