S2 hydraulic system alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 hydraulic system alternatives

Did anyone experiment with removing the complicated s2 hydraulic system components like the hydraulic pump, brake bomb etc with modern components. Like having a electric power steering pump assistance and some other kind of brake assistance form newer audis. I'd like to hear your opinions on this.
    My Online Blog

Originally posted by VladaS2 View Post
    Did anyone experiment with removing the complicated s2 hydraulic system components like the hydraulic pump, brake bomb etc with modern components. Like having a electric power steering pump assistance and some other kind of brake assistance form newer audis. I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

There is a thread or two on www.motorgeek.com, on using the electric power steering pump of a MR2. Seems to work real well.

If you want to replace the bomb, you can use the vacuum assist brake system off a B4 V6 or the one off the A4. The A4 one is little smaller, but only uses two of the existing holes. This is a must item if you are installing a V8 into a coupe, as the original braking system will not fit, with the V8 insalled.

Greg W.
    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Depending on what V8, the vacuum won't fit either - BTDT! I'm not even sure you can fit the vacuum booster with a IL5 in place - has anyone tried that??

I have to rant here - that whole brake system deal is what's stopping me from buying a S2 again... What a piece of shiat that is... Damn pump and damn stupid bomb.

Comment

There are some interesting ideas here.. Greg have someone tried the A4 route with success? What parts are needed?

Aren't there electrical powered steering solutions from newer audis like for example a3?

I alo figure since the hydraulic pump has some tremendous working pressure (something like 170 bar), unpluging it would grant a couple of HP too?
        My Online Blog

Comment

Well, let's keep the apples and oranges apart here. To get rid of the brake bomb and all the stuff that goes with it you need to change to some other form of booster OR go separeate MC's and a balance bar. To dump the servp steering pump ypu need a electrical steering servo yes. But I'd stick to just loosing the brake part and then change to a normal steering servo pump just for the steering system.

Comment

Working...
          X