Brake options for 4x108

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake options for 4x108

I will be thinking of upgrading my brakes sometime in the future.
    What options do i have fro 4x108.
    I already have the standard Girling60 s2 setup. But i may need bigger in the future with more power.

I know i can do porsche brakes if i change to 5x112. I dont fancy this though.

What can i do if i want to keep my 4x108 16's?

Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Get a set of A8 5x112 314s re-drilled at 4x108 and fit some Porsche monoblocks. Job done and they should fit under your 16s providing the ID is the same or larger than the Avus 16s.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

What wheels are you using?
      If there is enough room behind them them I have a solution which doesn't need the discs welding / drilling.
      Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
      England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

He's fitting an S2 engine Bry. You got a setup using Pug or Ford discs?
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Trouble with the a8 disc AFAIK they are drilled with 10 holes? 5x112 and 5x100. which dosent leave much room for any more holes to be drilled, DOH Otherwise that would be spot on.

But i think i will need a 314ish size disks, would love to chuck on some monoblocks if i can.

Im running 16" KN 5 spoke wheels (from a caterham) 16x7 ET19.

Whats your solution BRY? Im positively quivering in anticipation.

With fitting such powerful brakes up front do you get any probs with imbalance front/rear?

Comment

I've not had any probs with 314s front and standard rears. The Monoblocks do almost rip the rears off the road, especially with the DS2500s but that's down to the suspension rather than the brakes, bigger brakes would be lost on a car with standard springs IMO, it's more for the looks unless you're thrashing round a track with stiff suspension.

Why not go 5 stud and fit the Avus alloys for now? I'm sure you can get some nice alloys for them, Borbet Ts? Revolution 5 spokes?
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I may do in the future if it turns out to be the best option. I do like my wheels, and like the fact its 4-stud. i would need to get hold of 2 rear hubs though.

Comment

I can't do anything with ET19 wheels. I don't know if the monoblocks will fit them with the A8 disc.
                You need something with more clearance behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by re2500 View Post
                  I may do in the future if it turns out to be the best option. I do like my wheels, and like the fact its 4-stud. i would need to get hold of 2 rear hubs though.
                  if you are looking for a pair of rear S2 5x112 pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
                    Get a set of A8 5x112 314s re-drilled at 4x108 and fit some Porsche monoblocks. Job done and they should fit under your 16s providing the ID is the same or larger than the Avus 16s.
                    NO!

I will eat my words back if it will fit! A8 discs have too high "hat" to fit typ85 strut. You need to cut some metal from the strut which is questionable safety business.

You will need volvo S60/etc 305x28 disks redrilled for 4x108 pattern (this is easy, can be done at home with simple drill, I even have instructions somewhere with pictures of BTDT).

Second - you need custom carrier for the calipers (I home I can make one this summer, or at least do the drawings) .

Sau
                    P.S. Currently I'm running 310x28 alfa romeo 166 disks, which were machined to accept audi hub
                    200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                    CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Sorry i should have been more specific i have a type 89 cq. 4x108 hubs.

Bry.... Was just thinking surely et19 gives me MORE space than usual behind the spokes? Or is it the fact that your idea wont fit under 16's?

Comment

How close to the back of the wheel is the g60 setup?

Comment

Indeed, ET19 should give more space but as they're deep dish and a mere 7" wide that might be the problem.

Get the 5x112 hubs on there
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Im not sure, i will have a measure when i get a chance.

I will keep my eyes peeled for some cheap rear 5stud hubs though.

Comment

What's wrong with Spink's?

Comment

Working...
                              X