Red stuff pads and pedal travel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red stuff pads and pedal travel.

I have fitted my bremsport callipers and redstuff pads onto my grooved AP discs. First thoughts is that once hot they bite like hell but initialy the stopping is not the best unless you realy nail them. Our lass drove the car last night for the first time and she didnt like them as the pedal travel is still about 3-4 inches. Is this normal for 4 pots. I have re-bled them and got a bit of air out of them. And there is still 3 inches of pedal travel to stop the car. Once hot you have to nail them but they stop with avengance. Anyone with false teeth would probably loose them if they had their gobs open. I am impressed but you do have to use alot of muscle to get some action. Do the Porsche callipers do this as i still havnt ruled them out fully as a back up plan.
    Cheers
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Graham,

I have the 993 tt 'Bigreds' calipers with redstuff pads, I dont have much travel on the pedal.

Mark.
    Mark - Modded

Comment

Graham,
      the pedal travel as you well know is down to the 'gearing' of the slave piston to caliper pot area ratio.

If you have a small piston and a large pot you will get a lot of pressure but a long travel.

If you have a large piston and a small pot you will get lower pressure and a short pedal travel.

I can't comment on what the ideal is but if you let us know the piston diameter we can compare it to a porsche caliper.

I assume the slave is the same size but the Bremsport pots may be bigger.

The pads might not e bedded in yet and also having a hard compound they will be slower to react than normal road pads.

Now that the system has been hot may I suggest another bleed?

I found the other day the correct way to do a UK coupe is osr /nsr/ then I think osf/nsf.

HTH

David

David

Comment

Bleeding order is at S2central.net - TECHNICAL - BRAKES
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I found the same on my EVO, Brembo's with Red Stuff.

Pedal had quite a bit of travel and as you say the pads r crap when cold u really have to stand on them.
          S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

Thanks Paul, I looked on S2central.net and found this ( with acknowledgements)

1. Clutch (Master then Slave)
            2. Master cylinder (if bleed screw fitted)
            3. Rear Passenger Side
            4. Rear Driver Side
            5. Front Passenger Side
            6. Front Driver Side

The bleeding info was off an S2site which I read only a couple of days ago.

It was a UK site.

David

Comment

Cheers guys, i will re bleed them this week some time. The pads were already bedded in to these discs when i bought them, Alistair C had them on his car for 2 Month before he upgraded to porsche Monoblocks.
              The package arrived pre-assembled with the pads in their working locations so i marked them up and re fit them in the same positions as they were in.
              Saying that like last night we all went out for a blast with the digi cam in his FIAT coupe, and we all went out to decide who is fastest at 2 in the morning on a local private road, I reigned supreme leavin them all at bout 80 up over and i nailed the breaks and our lass said well they work well then dont they. I think one calliper might be sticking a bit on the disc as one brake is a bit hotter than the other, and last night i had a really anoying worbble type of sound coming from them and only when i cornered or broke it went away.
              Will re -bleed this week and the piston sizes are in each calliper there is 2x1.5" pistons and 2x1.625" pistons
              Cheers for your responses.
              Graham
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, I had Bremsport calipers once so should probably offer some comments!
                They certainly did work..... and if I'm honest were one of the main reasons for buying this particular S2..... head through the windscreen time if you pressed them! But yes, in comparison to Peter's S2 (standard setup) it did seem to me that there was a bit more travel. But from that point of view, I'd say that the monobloc calipers feel very similar.

The biggest difference I've noticed however I think is more down to the pads....Ferodo 2500s are the absolute mutts ..... and as such, just about justify their obscene cost (ie £45 for red stuff, £150 for DS2500) - just not sure if you can get them for the Bremsport calipers.

Never had any noises from the Bremsport kit - although did have it a couple of times with the new kit a while back - seems to have settled down quite nicely now though!.

You like the whirring from the grooves? And seeing as you've not got any decals on the calipers at the moment, why not put some temp indicator stickers on the sides - could be useful (and looks quite rally esque like the Fiesta RS I saw at work last week..... fully floating disks with white Alcon 4-pots ..... I think even Lee would have been impressed!)

Comment

I think i have sussed the problem, my passenger calliper was binding a little and vibrating, so i stripped the calliper sown and honed the bore out as when i got it machined i had them done with too finer a tolerance, not enough room for movement, also the pad was a bit tight in the calliper, will see how it goes this week, but i think they are sorted now and work amazingly, sheding speed at an astonishing rate.
                  Graham

Comment

Oh and also the whirring is quite cool, my mate heard it as i flew past him on my brakes, said it sounded wierd LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Graham
                      I think i have sussed the problem, my passenger calliper was binding a little and vibrating, so i stripped the calliper sown and honed the bore out as when i got it machined i had them done with too finer a tolerance,
                      Graham
                      Did you split the caliper Graham and did you replace the half seal ( between the castings?

They are not meant to e re-used.

If you want new half seals I can have a chat with a mate who has stocks of them.

David

Comment

David, Grahams brakes are Bremsport and not Brembo. Design is totally different and instead of having 2 flat mating surfaces which join the 2 halves together, they have several spacer bars which amongst other things allow for better cooling / airflow around the caliper itself.

Comment

Jeez they look HUGE!
                          Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

[QUOTE=Alistair C]David, Grahams brakes are Bremsport and not Brembo. Design is totally different and instead of having 2 flat mating surfaces which join the 2 halves together, they have several spacer bars which amongst other things allow for better cooling / airflow around the caliper itself.

QUOTE]

Thanks Alistair, the design looks good. I could tell that it wasn't a monoblock style as he could hone the pot housing. I've seen the design before and it looks very sensible.

David

Comment

Thats my babies, they are big callipers and they seem ok today no binding at all, just monsterous stopping power . And i re bled them again and got more air out, pedal travel now 2-3 ". Touch wood they will be ok now. The binding brake has caned part of my pads , but at 45 quid for more reds, they will do the job. And if our lass doesnt like them cold i will use it as an excuse to not let her borrow it although the other night a stop from 160 on the clock, as Jonny Law was up ahead (pulled someone else up). I cruised past at 70, big grin and our lass givin me greif about her whiplash of the brakes. All on private roads at 3 in the morning of course
                              Graham

Comment

Working...
                              X