Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange "whaa whaa" noise from front end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange "whaa whaa" noise from front end?

Apologize for crap thread title but after a few miles driving am getting a strange noise from front end, not sure if wheel bearing or caliper related (am running 996's on 323's).

If i steer slightly off centre (eg - to the right a bit) the noise dissapears, then comes back when pointing forward again.

It also happens when driving slowly, say 15mph in town but sounds more like something binding from one side.

Any thoughts??

stone/ gravel in the calipter/ brake system

Comment

Can you feel any sort of pulling through the steering wheel at all?

Mark
      '93 Brilliant Blue Audi S2 Avant - Broken again.
      '98 Tahiti Blue Rover 216SE Coupe
      '96 Arktiksilber Metallic BMW 525td (E34)
      '01 Dark Green Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1LTD
      '97 Polar White Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Di LS
      '96 Alpine White Peugeot 306 XLDt

Comment

Does the noise disappear if you tap the brake pedal gently when the noise appears?

Comment

Sounds like the old copper slip on the back of the pads has hardened up. Try taking out the pads cleaning them up and covering the backs with plastilube.

Else check all caliper bolts and look for ball joint and wheel bearing play

Can't think of anything else.

Comment

my first thought would be wheel bearing or the brakes binding a bit but would lean more to the wheel bearing as i have had similar but mine was more of a woo woo than whaa whaa
            never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

cheers guys, i'll have a fanny about over the w/end.

Doesnt pull to one side and can't really say it dissapears if i pressure the brake pedal.

I suppose its more of a whaa whaa, with a bit of woo woo and maybe a bit of chaa chaa depending on the weather!

cheers all..

Comment

Dan (dpicariello) had a similar problem recently. We thought it was a wheel bearing but upon further investigation found that his front inner wishbone bushes were absolutely shot!
                '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Originally posted by denniselbows View Post
                  my first thought would be wheel bearing or the brakes binding a bit but would lean more to the wheel bearing as i have had similar but mine was more of a woo woo than whaa whaa

Mine was more of a rumble when the wheel bearing went

Comment

For a wheel bearing you will tend to find that when you turn one way the noise reduces and turn the other it will increase. Usually when you put load on it it gets quieter, ie turing left and the noise reducing would point to the right hand bearing, curiously though, audis seem to do the opposite

You wont really feel a bearing that is making a slight noise by wiggling the wheel, you will however feel it through the spring. Jack up both front wheels and spin each in turn with your hand with your other hand holding onto the coil spring, if the bearing is shot you will feel a roughness through the spring.

Hope this helps.

Le Mans 2012
                    Nurburgring 700
                    1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Ive got a very similar if not the same problem.

had the wheel bearing replaced today, let hope its been solved although im not counting on it!

Did you have any luck with yours?
                      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Look guys, it is obvious, based on the noise made, it is either: -

Problem: whaa whaa when turning slowly (goes when brakes touched)
                        Solution: copper-ease on the pads or you have a sticky caliper piston to sort.

Problem: whoooooooaaaaaaaaa at speed, worse on corners
                        Solution: you need a better gag for your wife

Problem: "whaa whaa, with a bit of woo woo and maybe a bit of chaa chaa"
                        Solution: you need to tune the radio to a better station, one that gives you more of a thump thump jingle jingle

Cheers n

Si
                        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

could also be your caliper shims are k nack ered ...

Ohhh sir
                          S2 Avant ABY

Comment

Nah, still not sorted it as been a lazy sod and not really driven her. I reckon its a case of copper-eaze or sticky piston.

I WILL get it sorted soon tho, let us know how you get on and if your new bearing sorts yours..

Comment

Don't use copper-ease! Get some plastilube as it is much better. It will solve it for a little while but will come back again. I have the same problem, but it doesn't help that my disc are a tap warped.
                              Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Working...
                              X