Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Caliper would fit on stock 16" Avus rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Caliper would fit on stock 16" Avus rims?

Currently,I have 19" Rims on my UrS6 with stock HP2 strut.I start to look for
    the bigger (also lighter) than the stock HP2 Caliper.I feel the brake is fading
    at higher speed with a few pumping on the brake pedal.Mostly,it will end up with
    993tt caliper.I'm not sure if this's also fit on the HP2 strut.I found many sets of
    good used of Porsche Calipers ie.Cayenne,996 Turbo,Boxster,993TT,etc.
    In case of,the caliper's still allow to put the stock 16" Avus rims on.Which
    one'd prefer(easy to fit ie.only custom bracket needed)?
    What is the correct dia. on the Disc? I have 314X30mm on my car.
    please filled me in.
    Thx.
    one of a few I5 from Asia.

The setup i am building for my s2 involves the boxster s caliper (or 996) top left and top right ones in your photo. 314x30 discs and rs2 calipers. this has been bench built to fit under 16" avus rims. In order to get enough clearance from the wheel i have machined 2mm off the RS2 caliper brackets that i am using. This gives a touch over 2mm clearance. (nearly touches without machining the bracket)

You also need to grind 1mm off each of the pad guide pins (the 4 pins pressed into the caliper) to give enought clearance for the 30mm disc.
    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

edit: sorry rs2 caliper brackets

Comment

If you run wheel spacers you'll get another few mm clearance as the Avus is slightly tapered
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Sorry for oftoppic, however it is amazing, that in such costly pile of calipers, there's only one pair of black 996 monos which I would could call - useable for average guys like me .

Sau
          200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
          CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Thx for the input ,mates.I'm thinking to go for 996 or 993tt.the Cayenne Caliper is hot but It probably need at least 18" Rims to put the caliper on.
            In case of fitting the 996 or 993 caliper on the HP2 strut.Do I need any mods beside,the custom bracket?Is there a kits for the setup on HP2 strut?
            I have a machined shop at local to do the bracket but I'd likely to find the completed kits first.

Comment

Popdemonic, have you thought about the different pad alternatives. This link will not show the cheapest alternatives for Hawk, but some of the many alternatives.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...0&autoModClar=

Google more for cheaper prices.

Boxter S front pad is for those calipers for 314x30 disc. Also for 321 and 323 x 30 discs (just different ET and does not fit under 16" avus rims)
              Boxter "non S" front pad is for 312x25mm disc

Kevlar-carbon pads (no dust) made by Kerr Friction are also good ones for stret from Weston motor sports http://westonmotorsports.com/products.htm . Good bed-in procedure instructions . Weston is recommended by BIRA also.

Comment

Thanks,Tommy.Currently I live in Thailand.That's also the crucial point for the pads.I mean I got less alternatives.Anyway,Does the Boxster S caliper is much more bigger than 996 ,993's?My point is easy to fit,easy to back to stock,possibly fit on my AVUS.

Comment

Boxster s caliper is the same as 996 caliper. only red.
                  Very easy conversion back to stock as everything just bolts on usig standard vag parts )appart from machined rs2 caliper brackets.

996 (or boxster s) calipers are better as they are monoblock. the 993s are two halves bolted together. they suffer from bad corrosion between the two halfs and are more of a pain to rebuild than the 996 calipers.
                  996 (boxster s) are well proven on the forum and definately foolproof and is a reletavely problem free upgrade.

http://www.s2forum.com/996-brake-upgrade/

Comment

Thank for the input and link mates.I'll keep an update later.

Comment

The cayenne caliper is the easiest to fit to the HP2 strut.
                      Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
                      England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Working...
                      X