Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is the chamfer on the hub?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is the chamfer on the hub?!?

Looking to put a spacer inbetween the disk and the hub to bring the disk further outboard. For reason why, see the balljoint extender thread. The more I think about it the more i'm beginning to realise it's a really bad idea

On the hub there are two steps. The disc sits on the larger diameter and the wheel on the smaller outer diameter stub. On each stub base, there is a small chamfer only about 2mm wide. If I fit a 2mm spacer between the hub and the disc, the disk and the wheel will both sit proud of the chamfer, relying on the hub itself for concentricity . What I need to know is, for anybody who might have done something like this before, does that chamfer help locate the disk and wheel or is it there purely just for added strength to the base of the stubs?

It's a long shot I know but just thought I'd check...

Have a look at s2avants thread for his rear brakes, iirc he put a small spacer behind the disc to move it out.

Still not overly sold on the ball joint extenders tho. Still be worth knowing how well they stand up to your abuse.

Comment

More than likely the chanfer makes fitting the brakes / wheels easier and removes material that would intefere with any blend radii caused from casting or machining of the mounted components.
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
      X