ABS sensor removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS sensor removal question

I'm have some trouble removing the ABS sensor from the hub. The Haynes manual said it should just pull out but I can't get it to move. Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Mike

Yes they do just "pull" out. (In theory) I destroyed one of mine recently trying to get it out. It has a thin metal sleeve that makes it an interference fit, but after many years they become stuck.

Try with a pair of pliers or long nose pliers, but may well destroy it in the process...

Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Try soaking it with some GT85 or some other penetration spray, might have more luck if some of that can get down there.
      Chef

Comment

How much are they to replace?

Comment

If you are just doing this to remove a strut... you are MUCH better to just leave the booger in the hub and disconnect the wiring for the sensor which is just on the engine side of the inner wing on each side - you need to get stuff out of the way to access it - but MUCH less stressful than fighting with the sensor.

They are expensive enough to replace.
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I'm fitting new hubs so it has to come off one way or another

Comment

I dunno about that - if you are careful whilst the hub carrier is placed in and out of vice / press for the bearings you should be OK... The ABS sensor just picks up a signal off the teeth on the end of driveshaft - it doesn't need to come out for the bearing install unless there is an issue with physically putting the hub on that press without the ABS sensor interfering with something.
              Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

OK, where does the wire from the sensor go? Its a rear hub.

Also any idea as to the cost of them please?

Comment

Are you sitting down?

The sensors are £80 - £100 each! (Even from GSF etc!)

You can disconnect both the front and rears at the end of each loom. In the front they are just inside the engine bay. At the rear, I *think* they are under the back seat, but you will have to do a search or wait for an answer for definitive proof.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Grab it lightly with a vice grips and twist it back and forth as you pull it out, once you get it moving it will come out easy enough.
                    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mikeraz1 View Post
                      OK, where does the wire from the sensor go? Its a rear hub.

Also any idea as to the cost of them please?
                      Dead easy on the rear - under the rear seat - you'll see a 2-pin connectorised thing...

Paul
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

Thanks Paul.

Great, I was right!
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic

Comment

Little tip for you Mike,when you pull the cables through the body attach a piece of string to them so they can be pulled straight back through, will save you some time.

Comment

Thanks guys, thats all really usefull information. Hope I can get away with out having to buy new ones.
                            cheers
                            mike

Comment

At last,

someone else who also uses / has heard of GT 85.

Nice one.

Well done Terrybullwon.

Comment

Working...
                              X