RS2 brakes are screamin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 brakes are screamin'

As the title suggests i've got a bit of brake screach all the way until I stop.
    Whats the fix or is it a case of file a shanfer on the pads just like the old Cortinas?
    Cheers
    T
    The older I get the better I was.

if you use textar pads you will get away with all squeel. Then of course you need to replace the anti rattle shims on your pads at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
      if you use textar pads you will get away with all squeel. Then of course you need to replace the anti rattle shims on your pads at some point.
      Are you saying Textars DONT squeal? I'm just about to fit some!
      sigpic

Comment

yup! I had pagid when i first bought the car and they squeeled A LOT!
        once i switched to textars,i have never had any squeels whatsoever

Comment

That'll do me then thanks.
          T

Comment

textars will squeel as well not as much as the ds pads and the anti rattle shims don't make **** all diffence either i've tried all sorts to stop the noise
            never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

Jas11n recommended this stuff called plastilube when mine were squealing. Available from Audi for <£5. Audi part number 111 999 319.
              I had to wait for a week or so for them to get it. Apply liberally to the back of the pads. It does the same thing as copperslip but a bit more durable.

It might help but it might be the pads.

Dan
              Attached Files

Comment

I had real bad squeal on my A6 when braking, either under hard braking or light stuff. Turned out one of the pads was coming away from its backing plate - which was all the more frustrating as the pads were only half worn! It even happened to my other halfs VW Polo last year. Probably not the case here, but worth a check...
                Audi 80 S2 Nothelle N300 Avant, 1993, Amethyst Pearl VW/Audi Car Magazine article about this very car
                Audi A6 Avant 2.5 TDi, 1995, Arctic Silver (now sold)
                BMW E36 325i Coupe, 1993, Diamond Black (now sold)
                VW Polo 1.0L 6N, 1998, Red (the missus' car)
                Aprilia Rs250 motorbike, 1998, Black (the weekend toy)

Comment

I thought you were supposed to stick the pads to the rattle shims rather than copper grease them? I got some brake sticky glue stuff in the box with my last set of pads.
                  sigpic

Comment

as i said, once i fitted the original anti rattle shims and switched to textars,i have had no squeels ever since. And i have not changed the shims yet,although i have had 3 pairs of textars so far.

Comment

Oh, man! The front brakes and "one more time" through the suspension bushes were the last things I had done before I sold the old bus. That's new discs and pads. The very last thing was to take it back with the brakes squealing and I thought it was fixed. Sorry about that, Mark.

In the old days - here we go - you cut a vertical groove in the pad to collect the dust that causes the squeal. And, of course, you do see pads with two friction areas with a gap between them.

Keep the revs up. Or long may your turbo lag.

DickyC

PS Did I tell you the yarn the previous owner told me about overtaking in an RS2? If you're, say, six back and a clear bit of road appears, look out for the number three man. He won't see you coming. Mostly because he won't be looking. And burgher me, it happened! Exactly as foretold. With the turbo on song before I went I was probably going twice as fast he was by the time he pulled out. Luckily the road was wide enough to accomodate all of us three wide.

Comment

Hmm, I appear to be in the US. Clearly there is work to be done.

Comment

Blimey you get around you were in blighty a couple of days ago, you do swim quick!
                          I'll sort it .
                          Cheers
                          T

Comment

You may find its corrosion under the pad guide plate itself that is causing the problem. Might be worth a quick look to see whether you can see any white fur around the area.
                            Can be sorted but is labour intensive.

Comment

Working...
                            X