No announcement yet.

A couple of 'quick' brake questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of 'quick' brake questions....

• What's the maximum size of disc that can be fitted under the later 6-spoke Avus S2 alloys?
    • Can you fit the RS2 caliper carriers straight onto the S2 suspension leg (ignoring any caliper and disc issues)?
    • What disc size did the RS2 use in conjunction with the carriers mentioned above?

Thanks

Mick
    '94 S2 (RS2+ spec. Tarmac Rally Car)
    S2QuattroMotorsport

304mm discs with brembo four pots think they where 28mm thick but not 100% sure RS2 carryers fit straight on to s2 hubs

Comment

oh you can JUST fit them under a 16" rim

Comment

Originally posted by WabTheKing
        304mm discs with brembo four pots think they where 28mm thick but not 100% sure RS2 carryers fit straight on to s2 hubs
        Are you saying you're not 100% sure about the disc thickness, or whether the RS2 carriers fit the S2?

Sorry, but just need clarification (..and yes I am a retard!)

Cheers

Mick
        S2QuattroMotorsport

Comment

AFAIK the rs2 carriers bolt straight on the S2 as it is the same suspension leg.

I have 314mm discs behind 6 spoke Avus wheels but these are Hispec brakes not brembo or porsche (well not yet anyway ) I'm sure some people have used the 314mm A8 disc with the prosche calipers behind Avus 16" wheels. Clearnace is minimal but I'm sure I've seen it work.

Think the RS2 front disk was 32mm?
          Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Originally posted by 20vTurbo
            • What's the maximum size of disc that can be fitted under the later 6-spoke Avus S2 alloys?
            • Can you fit the RS2 caliper carriers straight onto the S2 suspension leg (ignoring any caliper and disc issues)?
            • What disc size did the RS2 use in conjunction with the carriers mentioned above?

Thanks

Mick
            Disk maximum size is 314mm according to calipers and brackets.

The RS2 Bracket bolts directly to the S2 / Audi Coupe / Audi A4 suspension.

the RS2 standard option uses 304 x 32 mm disks 968 calipers
            The RS2 special option uses 323 x 32mm disks 993 TT calipers ( this caliper is 'taller' than the others which is why it fits.

rs2 bracket and porsche monoblock with Audi A8 314 x 30mm disks fits with a slight mod to the caliper pins. See AlistairC's web site. Other don't have a clearance problem, others do!

HTH

David

Comment

32mm thick sorry, erm ive set up rs2 calipers on a hub with 304mm discs with a 16" rim over it but it is very close but close means it is possible!!!

Comment

Mick

I've got 322mm x 32mm and Brembo's from AMD, with the standard wheels, they are a close fit but they do fit.

Jim
                Attached Files
                95 Avant......Now sold after 11 good years and replaced with a 2011 S4 and Focus RS Mk2..!..!

Comment

@ Jim

Christ that must be a real sqeeze! Are the Brembos the same as Porsche versions or are they different?
                  Last edited by Dr H; 4 June 2004, 12:24.

Comment

Thanks to all!
                    S2QuattroMotorsport

Comment

Jim That is amazing!

I see you have knock on weights, the stick on ones wouldn't have a chance!

Leigh, I can just see the 'E' of Porsche on the caliper, they are 993 TT calipers I reckon. The thickness at the outer edge of the disk is thicker on the Monoblocks which reduces you clearance.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dr H
                        @ mick

Christ that must be a real sqeeze! Are the Brembos the same as Porsche versions or are they different?
                        Thats the same kit as I have and they are genuine Porsche 993 Turbo front calipers.
                        ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Sorry meant to say @ Jim not @ mick - post edited

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                            rs2 bracket and porsche monoblock with Audi A8 314 x 30mm disks fits with a slight mod to the caliper pins. See AlistairC's web site. Other don't have a clearance problem, others do!

yes 314mm will fit with 996 calipers under there & the wheel will turn.
                            But there is probably less than 0.5mm clearance at its closest point.
                            IMHO this is not sensible - and AP, Wilwood & Bremsport all agree.

If the tolerances in these areas are >3mm between one S2 and another then I'd be hugely disappointed with Audi. It all comes down to how close you want to run it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                              Disk maximum size is 314mm according to calipers and brackets.

The RS2 Bracket bolts directly to the S2 / Audi Coupe / Audi A4 suspension.

the RS2 standard option uses 304 x 32 mm disks 968 calipers
                              The RS2 special option uses 323 x 32mm disks 993 TT calipers ( this caliper is 'taller' than the others which is why it fits.

HTH

David
                              David & others,

So the RS2 special option does go under the 16" AVUS wheels?

I'm by no means a brake expert, but with my rotors on the way out, a MOT on its way, I figure a RS2 package might be a sensible idea...

I'm looking for a minimum hassle route though as the downtime on the car can't be too long.

I get bored riding my 12R in the wet cos it takes for ever to clean!

I keep wondering how much of a difference fitting RS2 brakes to the coupe will make to the actual braking performance though?

Last question: Jim conversion from AMD... AMD is? AMD Technik? The tuners?
                              http://www.auto-amd.com/?

Cheers,

J
                              Last edited by SR71; 24 June 2004, 09:50.
                              00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
                              08 RRS TDV6 HSE
                              03 Kawasaki B2 ZX12R 1287cc

Comment

Working...
                              X