rear brake caliper, handbrake not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake caliper, handbrake not working

can you wind the piston too far in/out so that the handbrake mechanism does'nt reach the pushrod or is my caliper hammered? my brakes work mint but there's just no handbrake, the lever can hit the stop and there's not one bit of resistance?

in because mine is the same way. even with new cables....

Comment

update. i got mine to work after messing with it some....

first i adjusted the crap out of the new cables. nothing. i could see the caliper working but not enough to grip the rotor.

then i tried to pump brakes while handbrake set. nothing.

i pushed the pedal down fully and THEN set handbrake. made the caliper adjust i guess.

now i can pull handbrake and i have my park brake again.

Comment

Handbrake not returning

Hi,

My handbrake was sticking on today - not very much, just enough to nearly catch fire as I drove along the A12 Oodles of smoke and a smell that probably shortened my life

When it had cooled down a bit I looked under the car and saw that the offending hand-brake cable had not returned properly; the arm on the caliper needed a nudge to push it back about 3/4 inch to it's resting position (hand brake off).

I replaced the cables with brand new items just last week. Is it still the cables or should I suspect the caliper? Could it be that there is a tight bend somewhere in the new cable restricting the inner cable? When I disconnect the cable the mechanism can be moved by using a long screw driver as a lever and the return spring (if that's what it is) seems VERY strong.

Ideas please.

Comment

sounds like seized mechanism alright... should be able to lever off the spring without huge effort.
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Do I do that by removing 13mm nut on arm on caliper and just prizing it off? Is there a guide somewhere online?

Comment

well because I'm impatient I went to euro car parts and forked out 103 quid plus my hammered caliper for a good one, put it on, bled it and its fixed, I've recently found a little hidey hole in the boot and found another caliper from the same side, hmmmm, why cant sellers be truthful instead of causing a dilemma for the next owner, maybe it comes down to MONEYYYYYYY!!!!!! hope you find the problem and let me know for future reference!!!!!

Comment

Hate to say so, but should always renew calipers in pairs...
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

rear handbrake

mines the same rear near side not working properly had probs with it. put new pads in. re bled all the brakes but the hand brake on this side does not bite as well as the other. the handbrake leaver on the back of the caliper feels easy to turn compaired to the one thats biteing nice is it a duff caliper or a set up problem .is there a set up method for handbrake .any help would be most greatfull.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                    Hate to say so, but should always renew calipers in pairs...
                    Why Paul? Pads & discs I can understand but I don't understand why calipers.

John

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
                      Why Paul? Pads & discs I can understand but I don't understand why calipers.

John
                      good question? why? even if the other one was in perfect working order as I checked? I better scrap my car then!

Comment

Working...
                      X