Big Reds Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Reds Question...

Any of you guys running a big red/black with a 30mm thick disc? If so any probs as the disc wears as they were designed for a 32mm thick if i remember correctly. I was wondering as the pads and disc wears if the pistons could/do/have been hyper extended and caused any problems

Cheers,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

I've just fitted Big Reds + A8 323 discs. IMO , given that each piston is only going to be extented by 1mm more than spec, I can't see there being a problem.

When Porsche/Brembo were designing the caliper, they'll have thought about maximum disc wear limits and pad wear limits... My neighbour is a Porsche mechanic and some of the 968s, 928s he sees have serious wear and tear on the brakes, ( i.e. cheapskate owners having the disc skimmed 2mm beyond the wear limit ) but he's never came across 'over extension' of pistons as a problem. (Seized and corroded calipers are the problem)

So, given the fact that it's only 1mm each piston and the wear and tear they can survive - I wouldn't worry

Raymond
    1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
    1987 CQ85RS
    1994 S2 Avant- Gone
    1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
    Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
    Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

have you got any pictures of this set up!? did you use RS2 caliper adapters?

cheers!
      Joe "NoNonsense"
      axis motorsport
      joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsense
        have you got any pictures of this set up!? did you use RS2 caliper adapters?

cheers!
        Yes, I'm curious about the brackets too. Are the rotors the 4D0 615 301 A's? I need to upgrade my 200q20v and have the RS2 brackets already. I'm thinking big reds with A8L rotors and these brackets, as I've heard of others doing. However, I guess that combination puts the caliper slightly off-center, which people just accept.
        Kenneth
        1990 Coupe quattro
        1991 200q20v x 2
        1985 4ksq 20vt project
        1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
        2006 Honda Ridgeline
        1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

Working...
        X