Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the size of S2 rotors vs. U.S. CQ rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoNonsense
    Greg, are you still running the 314x30 with the 996...we had corresponded a few times via e-mail about the BIRA set up...which I cannot get brackets for until October...so I am going with 314x30 and the 996 calipers!
    Originally posted by snopyro
    Which Audi came with 314mm front disc rotors? What is the price difference between the 996 monoblocks vs. the 993 big reds?

I have a set of U.S. A8 front rotors (312mmx25mm) on my wife's A4. I was told that if I wanted to put them on my CQ, then I would need to purchase the special BIRA bracket, rather than use the RS2 bracket. Is this correct or is there a way I can still use them using parts from the Audi bin?

Thanks!
    Patrick
    Joe,
    I did a write up on Fourtitde.com, you can find it at

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=1315513

that should answer most of your questions. I think David is right. As far as I knew, BIRA, does not have caliper carrier for the Coupe. There is one part of the write up I am not doing. I am not making a hard line, ala RS2, to replace the outer coupe brake line. It is approximately 175mm long, and you need more for the Porche 996 caliper to work. I am either going to use the rear S6, 205mm long, or the coupe rear, 250mm to replace that outer coupe brake line. I thought about stainless, but I don't see a lot of benefit and you have to use adapters at the ends. So I will just use the standard stealer brake lines in the needed length.

Patrick,
    The Euro A8 came with the 314x30 rotor. It did not come on any cars in the states. You wife rotor on the A4 is the same size as the USA A8. BIRA uses the Porsche standard boxster caliper with the USA A8 312x25 rotor, called their System I. But again, as far as I know BIRA does not make any adapters for the coupe. Check out the write up above.

Greg
    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Lastly, what is the minimum wheel size that can be placed on the 996 Big Brake Kit vs. the 993 BBK? And no special hardware needed for the brake upgrade besides the RS2 bracket, Porsche caliper, and A8 rotor (nothing needs to be machined or filed down smaller to make things fit properly- just a straightforward swap, right)?

Thanks for the link, Greg. On your link, you mentioned that you purchased the hubs and hub carriers. What does EuroPrice sell? I thought they were just S2 hubs and I just needed to install new wheel bearings in them. Can you let me know where you found the used S2 parts from? Were you at the Santa Barbara GTG where all the cops were being vultures and handing out tickets? I drove there in my '91 silver CQ that was parked between 2 red ones. There was a pearl one parked behind us and another white/pearl one in the center courtyard.

Thanks!
      Patrick
      Last edited by snopyro; 24 June 2004, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by snopyro
        Lastly, what is the minimum wheel size that can be placed on the 996 Big Brake Kit vs. the 993 BBK? And no special hardware needed for the brake upgrade besides the RS2 bracket, Porsche caliper, and A8 rotor (nothing needs to be machined or filed down smaller to make things fit properly- just a straightforward swap, right)?

Thanks for the link, Greg. On your link, you mentioned that you purchased the hubs and hub carriers. What does EuroPrice sell? I thought they were just S2 hubs and I just needed to install new wheel bearings in them. Can you let me know where you found the used S2 parts from? Were you at the Santa Barbara GTG where all the cops were being vultures and handing out tickets? I drove there in my '91 silver CQ that was parked between 2 red ones. There was a pearl one parked behind us and another white/pearl one in the center courtyard.

Thanks!
        Patrick
        Patrick,
        I tried to fit a couple of different 16 inch wheels when I was doing my set up. Would not fit the hump on the inside. Of course these wheels have 40mm ET. So I bought two sets of 17s.

Europrise sells just the hubs, which is all you need. I got the hub carriers, because breaker did not want to sell separate. Just get regular coupe bearing and the 5X112s fit.

check out this page. Did step by step set up for 996 caliper with 314X30 rotors?

I got the hubs from a breaker on the S2Forum.

I saw your car at SB. Yea too bad about the cops. Some nice cars though.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to you. I spoke to the other coupe owners.

Mine was the Alpine White coupe in the center courtyard. I know the SoCalEuro guys and helped them up on Saturday, so they let me park there.

I just did a write up for NoNonsense and Panzerwagen on one of the other thread on doing the 5 lug change out. You can take a look at it if you want.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...?t=3486&page=3

Greg
        They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe
          Joe,
          I did a write up on Fourtitde.com, you can find it at

that should answer most of your questions. I think David is right. As far as I knew, BIRA, does not have caliper carrier for the Coupe. There is one part of the write up I am not doing. I am not making a hard line, ala RS2, to replace the outer coupe brake line. It is approximately 175mm long, and you need more for the Porche 996 caliper to work. I am either going to use the rear S6, 205mm long, or the coupe rear, 250mm to replace that outer coupe brake line. I thought about stainless, but I don't see a lot of benefit and you have to use adapters at the ends. So I will just use the standard stealer brake lines in the needed length.
          Greg,
          BIRA did make a set for the S2, for Brandon Hull's eS2, but they charge nearly 50% more for the bracket because it's a one-off bracket. One other person I know has that bracket, so I might just try to get it duplicated.
          Joe "NoNonsense"
          axis motorsport
          joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

Working...
          X