No announcement yet.

Machine shop needed - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine shop needed - recommendations?

All ,

I need to find a good machine shop who can skim my (brake) discs a tad (oops ). And a set of pads could do with flattening off (not the regular road set). Ideally they should be able to do both sides of a disc at the same time so it's definitely even.

Anyone got recommendations? (Essex/Middlesex/Cambs/Herts/Bucks/Oxon preferred ideally, but not necessarily an issue - will travel for someone really good.)

Cheers,
    Ck.
    Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Why do they need skimming?
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I think AMD in bicester have started to do this...

Comment

If you were in Leicester I know a place not 200 yards from where I live! Narborough Engineering. They are an old fashioned firm with outdated machinery that dates back before our times!! but they have skimmed discs in the past for us and price was good too! It was about 5 years ago and the cost was about 15 quid a pair (cash). Not used them recently as price of discs have come down and with asbestos no longer available discs wear out too fast! I can obtain number if you require.
        A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

yep and i think qst do too while the discs are on the hubs so that they are matched properly...
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

most engineering shops can do this for you, have a look for precision engineers in your yellow pages, i daren't think what amd/qst etc would charge for that

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
              most engineering shops can do this for you, have a look for precision engineers in your yellow pages, i daren't think what amd/qst etc would charge for that
              Yep that's what I did when I got the OD reduced on mine. I paid £10 for both discs.
              Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Working...
              X