No announcement yet.

Porsche Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had the same kit fitted to my car for nearly two years now, by AMD, and they have never had the anti squeal pack fitted and they run just fine. Just be careful bedding them in and don't give them too much stick too soon
    As I said I've never had any problems with them and I'm on my second set of pads (EBC Reds) But I know that some people have.
    Jim S is right, you can watch them rust when they get wet (when you wash the car).
    But they are still one of the best things that I have ever bought for my S2 and the braking performance is awesome.

Congratulations on a great buy,

Mark.

P.S. they wont stay that clean for long, no matter how hard you try to keep them that way
    Last edited by Mark Halligan; 5 September 2003, 21:01.
    Mark - Modded

Comment

Jim, Kenny - what pads do you get with the kit?

Only reason I ask is AP told me to take the Mintex M1144 Pads off as they were too course for the discs - I had to get new discs because of uneven wear/scoring on the discs - which also caused them to get very hot, very quick.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

does anyone know if they sell just the disks?

Comment

AMD give a choice of pads I went for EBC Green, but I suppose anything that fits a 993 Porsche caliper should be ok.

They sell the disc for about £120 + vat each

Jim
          95 Avant......Now sold after 11 good years and replaced with a 2011 S4 and Focus RS Mk2..!..!

Comment

Don't honestly know what the pads are. They just came in the kit. I wasn't given a choice, although I did ask for pads that gave little brake dust (is that even possible?).

I got a call from AMD on Friday night about the "missing" parts. AMD do not and never have supplied the anti squeal pack as part of this kit. They reckon that it is not necessary.
            I'll find out when it all gets fitted.
            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

They've never squealed with me and I've done about 7k with them now.

It still amazes me how quick it stop with them on, the government should insist that all new cars should have brakes as good as this along with ABS and good tyres then maybe a lot of the accidents that they blame on speed rather than bad driving could possibly be avoided.

Jim
              95 Avant......Now sold after 11 good years and replaced with a 2011 S4 and Focus RS Mk2..!..!

Comment

I'd be very interested to see any sort of measured stopping distances from various speeds on peoples S2s, with or without the various brake modifications, and see how they compare against the "official" government stopping distances as given in the *****way Cod.
                Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

i think that for the standard S2 brakes the stopping distance would be ' TOO *($£%(*& much'
                  Coupe

Comment

Guys,

I've got the Movit version of these calipers and discs. They have a very similar clearance (lack of ) issue as Jim's pics on the 16" wheel.
                    I just wanted to confirm the comments about bedding in - I had to have mine skimmed by AMD and latterly a tame machine shop locally to cure a vibration problem.
                    The above didn't completely cure the issue, but I'm happy to say that since my grass donut at Billing, all vibration has mysteriously gone, leaving me with ( finally ) decent brakes.....roll on Castle Coombe!

PS: the above is probably due to some serious suspension problem which will only next manifest itself at high speed....maybe I'll just spectate at Castle Coombe?

Nick

Comment

Nick,

have you still got niggles with your setup???? I thought QST had sorted you out in the end after mucho arm twisting?

Cheers,

David
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hi David,

Yes I still had problems with them, until afore mentioned off-roading. Can't explain it, unless my prediction of suspension maladies comes true ( wishbone / subframe bushes, balljoints, top mounts etc?? ). I'll get a good look at the next service underneath to see if anything is amiss.

My last contact with QS ended with a recommendation to replace both front wheel bearings and hubs. At the time I'd expended enough cash already driving up and down from Stafford, so I sacked that in favour for an AMD pro-cut disk skim.

That lasted for about 4 months until I took the wheels off to clean the disk drilled holes ( blocked ) and found when they were replaced, the vibration came back.

Finally, I took both disks to a local machine shop who I deal with via work, and they took V-accurate measurement of rotor to bell alignment. Turns out they were at least 0.1mm out of true, so they skimmed them up and hey-presto immediate improvement, but not total cure.

It was only last weekend that I noticed for the first time that there was a complete lack of vibration under heavy braking ( I nearly got the pheasant! ). The last time I used the car was to go to Billing Aquadrome. Converastions with Mark confirmed that it is possible iwth the same setup to achieve decent braking, so I assumed that something was not right with either wheel bearings or suspension.

Like I said,a quick impromptu donut on the Saturday night must have pulled it all back into line again. Wonder how long it'll last....
                        Nick

Comment

Nick - when you get to the size of bigger discs you have to make sure there are no contaminates between the disc and hub when fitting.

An easy check is to remove the wheel, bolt the disc to the hub (using washers so you don't damage the disc/bolts), try and get hold of a Dial Indicator held to something solid (I used molegrips onto an axle stand) and measure the movement of the outside of the disc - mark high spots. Now rotate the disc wrt the hub and retighten - do this for the 5 positions - You will probably find that there is a big difference between them all - and you can pick the best postion.

It's also important to tighten bolts opposite each other torquing them up a bit by bit - don't fully torque one.

I have had these problems with 330mm discs and had a few conversations with AP about it.

If you have had them skimmed on the car there will be a specific postion that is best.
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Got the disks fitted yesterday. Already the pedal feels much firmer. Normal town driving is very similar, but braking from speed is scarey! :eek2:

I had to slow from about 90 to 50 when I came up behind a car last night and I was impressed!
                            The car actually slowed down!

I havn't actually stood on the brakes yet, but if they are half as good as I think they will be then they'll still be twice as good as the standard S2 stoppers. I'm a happy camper again!
                            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Before

ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

After....

ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Working...
                                X